Terms and conditions for using Maggie’s Online Community
Version 2.3 terms and conditions for Using Maggie’s Online Community (updated August 2019)
Please read through these terms and conditions carefully before registering a profile on Maggie's Online Community. If you don't agree to the terms and conditions, please do not create a profile or use the site. By creating a profile you are confirming that you are aged 18 years or over and that you agree to our terms and conditions.
Maggie’s Online Community is a site based in the UK and operated by Maggie Keswick Jencks Cancer Caring Centres Trust (‘’we’’ or “Maggie’s”). We are a charity registered in Scotland under charity number SC024414, and a company limited by guarantee with registered number SC162451, having our principal office at Maggie’s Centres, The Stables, Western General Hospital, Edinburgh EH4 2XU
If you have questions about anything within the terms and conditions please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Maggie's Online Community is for anyone with cancer, their family and friends. Registered members can create a profile, post comments in the forums and blogs, keep a personal journal, privately message other members and the online team and join in occasional timetabled live chats.
Maggie’s may amend this agreement at any time so please check back periodically for updates. Not reading this agreement does not mean you are exempt from the terms and conditions set out here.
Please adhere to the house rules with any content you add to your profile, personal messages you send to another member, or conversations that you post. We reserve the right to remove any content that is deemed to break site rules and regulations.
Registering and using Maggie’s Online Community
• To register for Maggie’s Online Community you must provide a valid email and set up a unique username. You may only register once; additional profiles will be removed. Your profile should be anonymous. Do not use your full name as your username or post your full name or telephone numbers or any other personal details that might identify you or a third party in the conversations or blogs. This is to protect you from unwelcome contact from third parties.
• Don't impersonate anyone, let anyone else post content or messages through your account or falsely state or suggest that you have an affiliation with a person or association.
• Your username should be appropriate. We reserve the right to suspend or change usernames which are abusive or offensive.
• You must be 18 years of age or over in order to participate in Maggie’s Online Community. If you are under this age please do not try to access the forum. If you are under 18 years of age you can visit our website to find organisations that offer information and support for children and young people with cancer.
• Visitors from countries outside the UK are welcome to register and participate in Maggie’s Online Community. However, we do not guarantee that the site or content available on or through Maggie’s Online Community will comply with the requirements of, or be appropriate for use in, other countries.
• If you want to post a request for help with a research project, please email us at email@example.com before posting on Maggie’s Online Community. We will deal with all requests on a case by case basis. Private petitions are not permitted on the forum.
• Please post in English.
• We advise caution if you want to meet another community user. If you do choose to meet another member you do so at your own risk and should take common-sense precautions.
• If you choose to use the private message function, you do so at your own risk and should take common-sense precautions. Only accept a friend request if you are happy to be contacted privately.
• You are responsible for keeping the details of your password and account confidential and are fully responsible for all postings and private messages that come from your password or account.
• Maggie’s has the right to disable any account or password at any time, if in our reasonable opinion you have failed to comply with any of the provisions of these terms and conditions.
Content and availability
• Advertisements, direct selling, chain letters, pyramid schemes, and requests for money are prohibited.
• Only post your own content - posting other people's content as your own can infringe copyright. This includes poetry and songs written by other people. If you do mention someone else's work make sure you state it is not yours and quote the source.
• You must not upload, post, transmit, or make available, any material that contains viruses or any other computer code, programs or files designed to destroy, interrupt, or limit the functionality of any computer software or hardware or telecommunications equipment.
• Please check where you post your comments and keep your conversations and comments relevant to the discussion.
• Do not upload images of a graphic, intimate or personal nature, or for the purposes of diagnosis. We are unable to diagnose you or give a medical opinion via our Online Community.
• You may add links to internal or external sites within your post or private message but you agree to remain responsible for any links you add. Maggie’s reserves the right to remove any links on the public forum that we consider inappropriate.
• You may link to Maggie’s Online community provided you do so in a way that is fair and legal and does not damage our reputation or take advantage of it.
• You must not establish a link in such a way as to suggest any form of association, approval or endorsement on our part where none exists.
• Our site must not be framed on any other site.
• Don't post any content that treats anyone unfairly because of their sex, sexual orientation, race, colour, nationality, ethnic or national origin, religion or philosophical belief, disability, gender identity/reassignment, marital status, family circumstance or age; or anything that is threatening, obscene or in any way offensive.
• Treat other members with respect - it is fine to disagree with a point of view but please be constructive and not personal in your reply.
• Postings and private messages must not contain any material that is abusive, vulgar, obscene, hateful, fraudulent, unlawful, threatening or defamatory towards any person, whether a user on Maggie’s Online Community or not.
• Please do not give medical advice (even if you are qualified to do so) or advocate or promote alternative therapies or cancer cures on Maggie’s Online Community.
• Maggie’s website and Online Community contains links to websites operated by third parties. Such links are provided for your convenience only. Maggie’s does not control such websites, and is not responsible for their content or the value and integrity of any goods and services offered by such websites. Such links should not be interpreted as approval by us of those linked websites or information you may obtain from them.
• We will try to ensure Maggie’s Online Community is available 24/7 but shall not be liable if for any reason it is unavailable for any period.
• Opinions expressed in conversations, blogs, profiles and personal messages are the opinions of individuals, not of Maggie’s. Maggie's does not endorse any medical treatment, alternative therapy or complementary therapy discussed or mentioned in the Online Community.
• The content on Maggie’s Online Community is provided for general information and discussion purposes only. The online team, while professionals, provide an information service only and are unable to access emergency care or talk to health professionals on your behalf. You should not use the information provided by Maggie’s for diagnosing or treating any health problem or disease, or take any other action in reliance on the information contained on Maggie’s Online Community, as content on our site is not a substitute for professional care and so far as permissible by law, Maggie’s does not accept any liability to any person relating to the use of such information.
• Although we make reasonable efforts to update the information on Maggie’s Online Community, we make no representations, warranties or guarantees, whether express or implied, that the content on Maggie’s Online Community is accurate, complete or up to date.
• You must ensure you have the permission of any person/people who own or who are in any photos that you upload or link to.
• We are the owner or the licensee of all intellectual property rights in Maggie’s Online Community and in the material published on it. Those works are protected by copyright laws and treaties around the world. All such rights are reserved.
• The names and logos of Maggie’s and all related product and service names, designs, marks and slogans are the trade names, service marks or trade marks of Maggie’s and may not be used without the prior written consent of Maggie’s.
• You may not copy, reproduce, download, transmit, make available to the public or otherwise use the content of this site in any way except for your own personal, private and non-commercial use. You agree not to adapt, alter or create a derivative work from any of the content on this site except for your own personal, private and non-commercial use.
• You retain all of your ownership rights in your content. When you upload or post content to Maggie's Online Community you grant us a perpetual, irrevocable licence to use, store, copy, edit and alter that content for fundraising, research and promotional purposes. Any content we use will be fully anonymous and handled sensitively.
• Maggie's is not responsible for any user generated content and cannot be held liable for any damages arising from said content. The views expressed through user generated content do not represent the views or values of Maggie’s.
• If you find any content offensive or believe it breaks site rules and regulations please contact a member of the online team by private message, or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
• If a complaint is made against you as a result of any material you post or private message, we reserve the right to suspend your account and only reinstate it if the complaint is resolved.
• We reserve the right to view in its entirety any private conversation which has been reported to a moderator for a breach of the terms and conditions.
• We reserve the right to restrict or remove access to Maggie’s Online Community for any user.
• We reserve the right to remove any post without prior contact with the author.
• We only provide Maggie’s Online Community for domestic and private use. You agree not to use Maggie’s Online Community for any commercial or business purposes and we have no liability to you for any loss of revenue, loss of profit, loss of business, business interruption, or loss of business opportunity.
When you register for Maggie's Online Community we collect your username, email address, date of birth, gender (if provided), your status, your relationship with cancer and other optional biographical information and your password (encrypted) and IP address. We will use your personal data in order to allow you to operate your Maggie’s Online Community account. Your email address may be used to contact you about administrative issues, to help you to log back in if you are experiencing difficulties, to notify you of posts, messages and comments that you have commented on or interacted with and to advise you of important changes to the Community. If you opt to sign up for any news or marketing communications, we may also use your email to send you occasional information and news from Maggie’s.
You can choose to opt out of receiving emails and alerts relating to posts, messages and comments from Maggie’s Online Community by logging into your account, going to Profile Settings and selecting Email Settings. You can choose to opt out of receiving any news or marketing communications that you have signed up to by selecting the ‘Unsubscribe’ option in any such communications or by contacting us at email@example.com.
Any posts or comments that you submit to Maggie’s Online Community will be visible to other users of Maggie’s Online Community. Where you permit us to do so, these may also be used to share your experiences of cancer.
We also have the right to disclose your identity to any third party who is claiming that any content posted or uploaded by you to our site constitutes a violation of their intellectual property rights, or of their right to privacy.
You can log in and change your profile settings, email and push notification preferences from Maggie’s Online Community at any time in Profile Settings.
Should you wish to delete your profile or change email preferences from Maggie’s please message a member of the online team or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
We have implemented the following Google cookies:
• Google Display Network Impression Reporting
• Demographics and Interests Reporting
• DoubleClick DART Cookies
You may opt-out of the use of DART cookies by visiting the Google Ad and Content Network privacy statement. Other cookie settings can be regulated in your browser. To find out how to do this for your device’s web browser, search for ‘cookies’ in your browser’s help menu. Please note that in some cases you may not be able to use all functions of our Platform, when using more strict cookie settings.
We however do not track signals and do not track, plant cookies, or use advertising when a Do Not Track (DNT) browser mechanism is in place.
If you are a consumer, please note that these terms, their subject matter and their formation, are governed by Scots law. You and we both agree that the courts of Scotland will have exclusive jurisdiction except that if you are a resident of England and Wales you may also bring proceedings in England and Wales and if you are a resident of Northern Ireland you may also bring proceedings in Northern Ireland.
If you are a business, these terms, their subject matter and their formation (and any non-contractual disputes or claims) are governed by Scots law. We both agree to the exclusive jurisdiction of the courts of Scotland.
Maggie's is not responsible for any user-generated content and cannot be held liable for any damages arising from said content. If you find any content offensive please contact a member of the Online team or email us at email@example.com.
Maggie's shall not be liable for any losses or damage arising from the use of this site or its content and does not warrant that the functions available on this website will be uninterrupted or error free, that defects will be corrected, or that the website or the server that makes it available are free of viruses. It is your responsibility to implement sufficient security procedures and virus checks. This exclusion of liability does not attempt to exclude or limit in any way Maggie’s liability to you where it would be unlawful to do so. This includes liability for death or personal injury arising from breach of duty and for fraud or fraudulent misrepresentation.
We reserve the right to change these Terms and Conditions at any time. If you are uncertain about anything in these Terms and Conditions, please contact us by email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Alternatively you can write to us at:
Supporter Care Team
10 Dumbarton Road
Date last reviewed August 2019