Maggie's

See what's happening in the Community

You are not logged in.   Log In

Meet the team

As well as sharing experiences with our friendly online community, registered members are able to contact our experienced online team. The Centre is staffed during office hours and the online team aim to reply within 24 hours.

Psychologists and experts from other Maggie's Centres and partner organisations also facilitate some group and individual sessions.

Picture of 'Today I am feeling' - managing emotions

Topic

'Today I am feeling' - managing emotions

Share how you are feeling and swap tips for managing stress with other members and the online team

• 165 conversations

Still in shock after bowel surgery

Started by Anonymous on 07 October 2017 at 01:15
Edited on 07 October 2017 at 01:16

Hello all, Im glad to find this site, via some info on the 'beating bowel cancer' forum, at the end of August 17' I did a bowel cancer screening test, and it had abnormal results, I had a colonoscopy and a ct scan, they removed some polyps and found a tumor in the sigmoid area of my bowel. On the 12th September I had open surgery, a bowel resection to remove the tumor and also had 30 lymph nodes removed, I went back last week for the stitches to be removed and was told I am cancer free, which is wonderful news. However I feel shell shocked, it was all so sudden I hardly have had time to take this all in,and am not sleeping well having bad dreams and waking up every 3 hours and just lying there thinking, I have read that this can be from the anasthetic and will wear off over time? As for the operation, I am recovering well, and starting to add back more roughage in my diet and take walks. thank you for any advice. 

Comments (1)

Displaying 1 comments

• Picture of SusieQ
    From SusieQ  
    09 October 2017 at 10:39
    Edited on: 12 October 2017 at 16:50

Hello,

It sounds like an eventful and stressful couple of months - with an unexpected cancer diagnosis thrown in the mix. It does seem that people who are diagnosed with cancer after routine screening are even more shocked, than those who had symptoms beforehand.

It is good to hear that you are now cancer free - but perhaps it's only now that your mind is processing what you've been through emotionally and physically. This may be adding to your disturbed sleep pattern. It's also true that anaesthetics, particularly if 'under' for a longer period, can disturb sleep a little post op, but that does wear off.

The emotional impact should gradually fade over time too, but perhaps you need to talk through what you've been through, and the impact it may have had. The ground beneath your feet shifted very quickly from feeling fit and well, to, for a time, having a life changing diagnosis. It takes time for your heart and mind to catch up with what has gone before. If you live near one of our Maggie's Centres, do drop in - talking things through, and perhaps learning some relaxation/breathing techniques etc, will be helpful.

You're also still in early days post op recovery - it's only a month since surgery...so be kind to yourself. It sounds like you are recovering well, physically.

Meanwhile, with your diet, you may be interested to read carolineh's recent blog on 'Nutrition - Colon cancer'. You could also message her if you would like some individual advice.

You're also very welcome to message Robyn or myself anytime - to talk anything through further or ask any questions,

Warm wishes

Sue

Displaying 1 comments

Registered Office: Maggie's, The Stables, Western General Hospital, Crewe Road, Edinburgh EH4 2XU   Registered Charity Number: SC024414
The Maggie Keswick Jencks Cancer Caring Centres Trust is a company limited by guarantee   Company Number: SC162451