Maggie's

See what's happening in the Community

You are not logged in.   Log In

Meet the team

As well as sharing experiences with our friendly online community, registered members are able to contact our experienced online team. The Centre is staffed during office hours and the online team aim to reply within 24 hours.

Psychologists and experts from other Maggie's Centres and partner organisations also facilitate some group and individual sessions.

Picture of Could it be cancer?

Topic

Could it be cancer?

A space for those worried they may have cancer

• 4 conversations

Worried

Started by Anonymous on 19 July 2017 at 15:50

I had breast cancer in July 2014, and now in remission.  I recently went for an mri as have been told I have leisons on my liver and fluid on lungs.  My mcmillian nurse has told me they will discuss my results at a mdt meeting next Thursday, so hopefully I will see my oncologist the same day.

I just hate the waiting, and though, I am trying to keep busy,  it's difficult.  My life was just getting back on track after being re-approved to take foster children and have already been offered children, my mcmillian nurse has suggested I wait till I get my results 

Sorry for moaning but it feels better to try n get it off my chest.

Love to all the pink ladies xxx

Comments (7)

latest | oldest

Displaying 7 comments

• Picture of SusieQ
    From SusieQ  
    21 November 2017 at 13:13

Hello...and welcome to Maggie's Online Centre community. I realise you'll be hoping to hear from others on here, and hopefully other online members will chip in and and their support.

In the meantime, I can understand why you've been thrown into uncertainty again - having been through cancer before - and possibly having treatment decisions to make again in the near future. It may be benign, as you say, but I imagine you're emotionally preparing yourself for the possibility of a cancer diagnosis.

You know your own body, and it's sensitivity to treatments. Not everyone opts for the full range of treatments - although the oncologists will aim to offer you the gold standard treatment currently available.

I guess my only advice might be, is to listen to what they have to offer - and how they might deal with your sensitivity to pharmacalogical products. You will be able to make your mind up then, fully informed - so that you know whatever decision you make is the right one for you.

I'll message you to introduce myself. Robyn and I are here to listen and support you...

Warm wishes

Sue

• From Anonymous
    21 November 2017 at 12:23

This is my first posting on Maggie's community.  I hope it is in the right place.  I had breast cancer 4 years ago and some brilliant oncology psychology support afterwards.  

I went to my doctor a few weeks ago about increasing problems with a ? rectocele...since then I have had an ultrasound, and a 7cm cyst was found on my ovary or at least in that area...then I saw the gynae consultant.  He wanted a more detailed picture of my pelvis as he said the ultrasound was rather basic so yesterday I had an MRI. 

I can feel my anxiety levels rising but not because of the results but because of having to make desicions and knowing that I will have to have surgery anyway, whether they think it is cancer or not.  I am very sensitive to drugs and opted for a mastectomy last time in order to avoid any radiotherapy etc.

Yesterday the muscle relaxant Buscopan made my heart rate rise dramatically, but I survived and I was determined that they should get a good picture of what is going on.

Even now I know I would make the decision not to have any chemo and I have come to terms with that ( I am nearly 69), but convincing others is the worst thing.

I am just looking for a bit of support from others who may have decided not to take the usual route.  But this may be benign anyway.

Thanks in advance.

CorfieldF 

• Picture of SusieQ
    From SusieQ  
    18 August 2017 at 10:01

Hello,

This wasn't the news you wanted to hear - a tough day...

Being diagnosed with secondary cancer can bring back all the feelings and shock, that may have accompanied your original cancer diagnosis 3 years ago. I realise it may mean having to change your plans for the immediate future, whilst treatment plans are arranged and begin.

The strengths and resilience skills you learned the first time round will come in handy this time...once the news has been absorbed...and I'm relieved to hear you're going to drop into your local Maggie's Centre, for support.

I'll send you a personal message too, in case you'd like to talk anything through...

Warm wishes

Sue

• From Anonymous
    18 August 2017 at 00:34

Unfortunately, I received bad news today and have been diagnosed with secondary breast cancer that has spread to my bones and liver so have to go through all the treatment again.  I have just got my life back on track only to be shot down again but I will fight this disease and get this hiccup over with so that I can move forwards and upwards in whatever my heart desires. I plan to call in to maggies and have a look when im next up that way X

• Picture of SusieQ
    From SusieQ  
    31 July 2017 at 14:37

Hello...and thank you for the update...

It sounds a mixed bag of news in a way - nothing immediate that they can confirm as anything to worry about, but enough uncertainty to keep you wondering for a while longer. Hopefully, they'll get on and sort out the next scan and biopsies soon.

The news that you're able to go ahead with fostering, though, is uplifting. You'll have much to focus on, in a positive way, with the new people in your life...

Warm wishes

Sue

• From Anonymous
    28 July 2017 at 18:18

Results inclusive apart from confirming fluid on lungs

My oncologist has said that they have spotted problems now with my spine, I may also have a biopsy.  I have to have another MRI with a different injection highlighting something (don't know what injection or what it will show up) I thought I'd finished with treatment but trying to keep positive.

On the plus side,  i will commence fostering which will make me happy n busy so only fun times ahead

Xx

• Picture of SusieQ
    From SusieQ  
    19 July 2017 at 16:15
    Edited on: 20 July 2017 at 15:30

Firstly, a warm welcome to Maggie's Online Centre. I'm glad you felt able to share your concerns here - it sounds a worrying time for you...

Waiting for results of discussions can seem eternal, particularly when you're wondering what the doctors will conclude from your scan results. The oncologist and the rest of the MDT team will be discussing a possible treatment plan, if they conclude from the findings that the cancer is back.

I can imagine everything feels like being in limbo, at present, particularly as you had just been re-approved to take in foster children. You're right in a way, to try and keep busy, whilst the appointment day arrives - but that can be easier said than done. I dont know if you live near one of our Maggie's Centres - but you'd be welcome to drop in. You could maybe join in a relaxation class, for example - have some emotional space for you, and/or share how you feel with people who get what you're going through...

I hope our online visitors can offer you words of support and encouragement - and you can get in touch with Robyn and myself anytime, if you'd like to talk anything through...

Warm wishes

Sue

Displaying 7 comments

Latest Conversations

Could it be cancer?

Registered Office: Maggie's, The Stables, Western General Hospital, Crewe Road, Edinburgh EH4 2XU   Registered Charity Number: SC024414
The Maggie Keswick Jencks Cancer Caring Centres Trust is a company limited by guarantee   Company Number: SC162451