Maggie's

See what's happening in the Community

You are not logged in.   Log In

Meet the team

As well as sharing experiences with our friendly online community, registered members are able to contact our experienced online team. The Centre is staffed during office hours and the online team aim to reply within 24 hours.

Psychologists and experts from other Maggie's Centres and partner organisations also facilitate some group and individual sessions.

Picture of After cancer treatment

Topic

After cancer treatment

Finished treatment? Trying to find a new normal or perhaps feeling a bit lost and anxious - share experiences and practical tips with other members and the online team.

• 37 conversations

After Cancer

Started by Anonymous on 13 February 2018 at 11:04

Hi I am very new and sorry if I seema bit rambley but here goes.

I had Overian Cancer last year and went through the hystorectomy and chemo just in a haze I just wanted my life back I got through it and I am on my 3 Month check ups at the Christies I thought I was doing fine I went back to work and thought I was back to normality but I make a mistake in work last week and now I have lost all my confidence I feel like I can no longer do my job and my emotions are all over the place, I feel useless, I just want to know if this is normal and will my confidence come back.

Comments (1)

Displaying 1 comments

• Picture of Robyn
    From Robyn  
    13 February 2018 at 12:18

Hello and welcome to Maggie’s Online Centre.

First to answer your question these feelings are normal …. I am sure others reading this will identify with the difficulty finding any sort of normal following cancer treatment. It takes time to regain your resilience – physically and also emotionally. I don’t know what work you do or how soon you returned to work following treatment .

During treatment , as you say you just got through it is often only when treatment finishes that the whole emotional impact hits – at the same time as side effects from treatment and it can all come as quite a shock to the system.

It sounds as if you would benefit from some space to process what has happened and to nurture your physical and emotional strength . You would be welcome to visit any of our Centres (you don’t need an appointment you can just drop in ) and find out more about the post treatment support we offer including our 6 week course Where now. It may also be possible to make some changes at work to either have some additional time off or to lessen your hours/workload . for example.
    Have you told friends/ family or perhaps your GP how hard you are finding things at the moment?

You are welcome to message me or Sue ( susieq) if you would like to talk things over in more detail.
    I would also recommend a book – the cancer survivors companion which I think you will find a helpful read , it has lots of practical tips from manging emotions after cancer treatment. You can find it in most libraries and also preview it on Amazon.
    Best wishes
    Robyn

Displaying 1 comments

Registered Office: Maggie's, The Stables, Western General Hospital, Crewe Road, Edinburgh EH4 2XU   Registered Charity Number: SC024414
The Maggie Keswick Jencks Cancer Caring Centres Trust is a company limited by guarantee   Company Number: SC162451