Maggie's

See what's happening in the Community

You are not logged in.   Log In

Meet the team

As well as sharing experiences with our friendly online community, registered members are able to contact our experienced online team. The Centre is staffed during office hours and the online team aim to reply within 24 hours.

Psychologists and experts from other Maggie's Centres and partner organisations also facilitate some group and individual sessions.

Picture of Friends and family

Topic

Friends and family

For anyone supporting someone else with cancer

• 147 conversations

Feeling overwhelmed

Started by Anonymous on 24 September 2017 at 11:13

Morning everyone.

My dad got the news last week that his cancer has spread, he has been given a time frame of 6 months. I'm an only child, also a nurse ( which is sometimes useful....sometimes not) . Im now in the middle or doing lots of things. trying to organise a trip to blackpool that my dad wants to go on, trying to sort out his meds,trying to sort out financial support, trying to support my poor mum. my youngest daughter has just started secondary school. so shes stressed as well. Little old me is just in the middle. I feel guilty for not being the one who can cope with all of this, I also feel guilty for asking for help for me when everyone else needs it more.

So im just feeling overwhelmed. xx

Comments (1)

Displaying 1 comments

• Picture of SusieQ
    From SusieQ  
    25 September 2017 at 09:42
    Edited on: 25 September 2017 at 16:32

Hello,

I'm not surprised you're feeling overwhelmed - the news about your dad sounds an understandable shock. As a fellow nurse, you've possibly been the one everyone is turning to for support - using your organisational and practical strengths.

However, the 'you' that people may not be seeing at present, is you, the daughter. This is your dad, and seeing a parent more vulnerable, can be very hard. It's bound to be having an impact emotionally and physically - and it's only right that you receive support too...

If you live near one of our Maggie's Centres, you'd be very welcome to stop by and visit us? Being able to talk about the emotional pressures you may be feeling, can give you the 'breather' you need. You're still having to process what the recent news about your dad means...whilst helping everyone else as they deal with the impact too.

There's a helpful blog - 'What cancer means for carers' might resonate with you...? You're also very welcome to message Robyn or myself, to talk things through. As a nurse, you spend your life supporting others...sometimes you may feel you need permission to ask for support for you too. You're a key player in everything that's happening just now, and that can feel a lonely place...

Warm wishes

Sue

Displaying 1 comments

Registered Office: Maggie's, The Stables, Western General Hospital, Crewe Road, Edinburgh EH4 2XU   Registered Charity Number: SC024414
The Maggie Keswick Jencks Cancer Caring Centres Trust is a company limited by guarantee   Company Number: SC162451