Maggie's

See what's happening in the Community

You are not logged in.   Log In

Meet the team

As well as sharing experiences with our friendly online community, registered members are able to contact our experienced online team. The Centre is staffed during office hours and the online team aim to reply within 24 hours.

Psychologists and experts from other Maggie's Centres and partner organisations also facilitate some group and individual sessions.

Picture of Topic Newly diagnosed

Topic

Topic Newly diagnosed

Are you newly diagnosed with cancer? Read our series of blogs with information about cancer and its treatment, how to take control of its side effects and tips to help you to focus on wellbeing.

• 87 conversations

Whirlwind yesterday Diagnosis day

Started by Anonymous on 16 July 2015 at 18:18

Hello everyone, I was diagnosed with grade 3 breast cancer yesterday. I am 43 and have 4 children aged 3 - 10. I am going to start chemo next week and feel very scared and isolated. I am in St Albans and would be keen to find a support group. Very odd time. 

Anna x

Comments (3)

latest | oldest

Displaying 3 comments

• Picture of Tombenefits
    From Tombenefits  
    24 July 2015 at 11:30

Hello Anna,

I think there is a shared experience amongst all of us that have had the "C" word used in front of us in such a wantonly diagnostic manner :-).

Somehow you can feel quite isolated and  separated off from the rest of the world as if you've crossed a line. It's a line that you may have been vaguely aware of before as something for others,  but it feels rather different and quite lonely when you are thrust over it.

Of course everyone in your life rallies round to tread on eggshells all about you. which can be diverting :-) But you can still feel odd, different and separate; lonely in a very loving crowd.

It's also a time of shock and adrenalin surges as a whirlwind of emotions and new information fly around and your head is a buzzing. Huge hopes and fears career about the place, not yet tamed by the perspective of familiarity and experience. 

Things do and will settle into a strange new normal and the fears often turn out to be far worse than the reality.

And you are of course far from being alone, as thousands are thrust over that line each year. So support groups and the people you may share treatment sessions with can become great strengths.

Others can tell you about the reality of chemo, as I escaped that one, but I get the impression that though not nice it is manageable, with more help with the side effects than yesteryear.  And there is much warmth and support wrapped up in the process, as you compare notes with others on becoming pale and interesting

One of those worries may be the money based practicalities, much more mundane, but which can become a bit of a stress, depending on your situation. And that I can help you with.

So please feel free to message me at any time with any query / concern about benefits entitlements and the like, that can help through any financial challenges ahead.

Best wishes

Tom

Online Centre Benefits Advisor.

• Picture of Robyn
    From Robyn  
    17 July 2015 at 11:00
    Edited on: 17 July 2015 at 11:13

Hello Anna - a whirlwind indeed and a lot to take in, and I imagine to arange around 4 children,  before your chemo starts next week.  I have sent you a private message and you are very welcome to contact Sue 'susieq' or me anytime if you would like to talk things over

best wishes

Robyn

• From Anonymous
    17 July 2015 at 00:15

Hi Anna, sorry to hear your news, but just wanted to say that Chemo, although not pleasant, is doable and probably NOT as bad as you are imagining it will be. I went through treatment in 2013/14 and I found a lovely group of ladies on Breast Cancer Care, they have Monthly Chemo groups, so you can join up with a group of ladies going through Chemo at the same time! I found it a great support. A place to ask questions and to share your thoughts and fears! Do you have a Breast Care Nurse? If so she should be able to point you in the right direction of any support groups near you. Although I'm sure Robyn, or Sue will have lots of information to share to! :-) Wishing you all the best on your journey! Sal x

Displaying 3 comments

Registered Office: Maggie's, The Stables, Western General Hospital, Crewe Road, Edinburgh EH4 2XU   Registered Charity Number: SC024414
The Maggie Keswick Jencks Cancer Caring Centres Trust is a company limited by guarantee   Company Number: SC162451