Maggie's

See what's happening in the Community

You are not logged in.   Log In

Meet the team

As well as sharing experiences with our friendly online community, registered members are able to contact our experienced online team. The Centre is staffed during office hours and the online team aim to reply within 24 hours.

Psychologists and experts from other Maggie's Centres and partner organisations also facilitate some group and individual sessions.

Picture of Kitchen table (general chat)

Topic

Kitchen table (general chat)

General conversations to join in and talk with other members and the Online team

• 663 conversations

Finding your Online feet

Started by Robyn   on 22 December 2011 at 15:13
Edited on 04 January 2017 at 10:06

Welcome!  You may have come across Maggie's Online Centre by accident or design. Now you are here, you are welcome to have have a look round as a guest to see what we offer. If you register and become a member of Maggie's Online Centre  you will have access to much more..Registered members are able to post comments and blogs, join our live facilitated support groups and courses and to message our professional team as well as other members.  Once you have registered it can sometimes seem difficult taking the next step......  you could try posting a comment in the conversations to let other members of Maggie's Online Centre know you are here. You may like to have a read through existing conversations and blogs and see if someone else has similar experience. You can then choose to join in the conversation, or click on their username, to find out more about them or maybe send a private message. 

If you aren’t sure what to write about, perhaps have a read through my  “just ask” blog which will help you to know more about who is likely to see your post and what others write about  and why you may sometimes choose to send your message privately.

You may prefer to start by reading through some blogs from the Online team  

You can find out more about cancer and nutrition in our cancer and healthy eating section. This could be an opportunity to get in touch with our online nutritional advisor Caroline (Carolineh), who can offer expert advice and support. Find out more about nutritional support at Maggie's Online Centre

Tom (tombenefits) is our online benefits advisor and can help you to find out more about benefits and allowances which you may be entitled to as a result of your diagnosis. You may be caring for someone else and be wondering what benefits are available? Find out more about Benefits support and advice  at Maggie's Online Centre

Sue (susieq) and  myself (Robyn) are experienced cancer nurses and are on hand for help, information or when you need a quiet word  - you can find out more about us and the rest of the online team from the 'Meet the team' panel which displays on most pages of the Online Centre or click on our usernames  in green to vist our profile pages.  Registered members are able to message us and we will help you to find the support, you need

Our information website Maggie’s Cancerlinks is  also available to help you find your way through cancer information available online and has links to many other organisations.  

You may also be interested in joining one of our online support groups or taking part in a live one to one booked session. You can find out more about our professionally facilitated live groups and individual sessions,  including how to sign up by visiting the group page .

Maggie’s Online Centre is here to offer you the information and support you need to help you to manage whatever situation you find yourself in as a result of cancer. By talking with our friendly online community and/or our expert online team we can help you to find the practical and emotional support that Maggie’s  and other organisations have to offer anyone affected by cancer.

Best wishes

Robyn

Picture of Robyn

Comments (14)

latest | oldest

Displaying 1-10 of 14 comments

Pages
  • Picture of SusieQ
    From SusieQ  
    21 April 2017 at 10:52

Hello Diane,

It sounds like the news of your triple negative cancer has been a shock...especially as you'd been getting on with your treatment thinking there would be hormone therapy and herceptin to follow.

The breast cancer tumour sounds to be responding (shrinking) to the chemotherapy - and there are a range of chemotherapies that are available for breast, if it should come back.

That doesn't take away the fear though - I understand that. The fear of recurrence is something that most people with a cancer diagnosis struggle with. It's the feeling of an uncertain future - something you may feel you have no control over, that can feel overwhelming.

However - there are things you can be doing to take some control back. Exercise (only gently whilst you're on chemo, then building up over time), good nutrition, learning how to relax, and de-stress, keeping an eye on current and new treatments - and hearing from others who have got through this difficult part of cancer treatment. If you live near near of our Maggie's Centres, you'd be welcome to drop in, and find out more about strategies to cope.

You may find this webpage from Cancer.Net helpful - 'coping with fear of recurrence'? Also a good book, that many of our members recommend, is 'The cancer survivor's companion : practical ways to cope with your feelings after cancer' (Goodhart and Atkins, 2013). Although I havent read the following book myself, it is well reviewed, and might help too - 'Surviving triple negative breast cancer: hope. treatment and recovery' (Patricia Prijatel, 2012).

Some of how you feel, may be being impacted upon by your chemotherapy - it affects people both physically and emotionally - more time on your hands to think, feeling fatigued, and perhaps more vulnerable.

Others on here will identify with the feelings you've expressed today...so hopefully will add their thoughts too..

You're very welcome to get in touch with Robyn or myself too - writing down the feelings and worries can ease the immediacy of the worries...

Warm wishes

Sue

• From Anonymous
    21 April 2017 at 10:22

I am half way through FEC-T treatment for Grade 3 Triple Negative Breast Cancer, about to start the last three cycles then move onto surgery for lumpectomy and removal of lymph node(s) and radiotherapy.  I had tests this week which determined the tumour had shrunk by atleast 3/4 and was smaller in the node and I should be really positive about it.  I did'nt realise I was triple negative until I asked this week if I was going to have Tamoxifen or Herceptin post treatment, it had'nt really been spelt out to me.  While I should be positive, I am now terribly frightened for the future that its going to come back even if I get through the treatment with a positive outcome.  Any advice on how to manage my fears would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Diane

• Picture of SusieQ
    From SusieQ  
    18 April 2017 at 09:54

Hello Myra,

It sounds like there's a lot going on for you, emotionally and practically at the moment. Your husband's chemotherapy, as well as the worries you may have about his cancer, may be adding to a sense of feeling helpless. Things are happening which can sometimes feel out of your control...and this can lead to feeling scared and panicky. The feeling of being on your own in this, is something many of our online members tell us. (There is a blog you might identify with...'cancer, loneliness and isolation', as the feeling of isolation can affect both the person with cancer, and those close to them).

It's still early days in your husband's treatment, by the sound of things, and the new temporary routines can feel a challenge - not knowing what to expect, and wondering if the treatment will work.

I'm relieved to see that you are planning to drop into your local Maggie's Centre, when he goes for his second chemo cycle.

There will fellow wives, husbands and partners reading this, who will identify strongly with what you're saying...I hope they'll add an encouraging word here for you...

In the meantime, I'll message you...

Warm wishes

Sue

• From Anonymous
    17 April 2017 at 08:49

My name is Myra normally I can cope but right now I am frightened all the time . Problems sleeping and I feel so alone. Not so bad if I am out and about and people round about me. Dont live near the Maggie but do intend to visit when my husband is there for his second chemo treatment. 

• From Anonymous
    29 October 2016 at 10:29

Hi, I'm back to Maggies after 18 months.  We thought my husbands cancer had gone, but sadly we've recently found out its spread.  We were told people typically live 6 months with this type of cancer so we're trying to make the most of the time we have left together.  He's now having palliative chemo so it's not as easy to get out, but we're hoping to still have a few adventures.  

• Picture of Robyn
    From Robyn  
    13 August 2016 at 08:27

Hello - dont worry I was passing by this morning and sorted it so the post is back :)

Robyn

• From Anonymous
    13 August 2016 at 00:19

I'm really sorry. I only just joined and somehow seem to have made a complaint about a post when I thought I was clicking on it to read it in full. I tried to get out of the complaint, but I got a window saying thanks for alerting to the content, it had been removed. This wasn't at all what I wanted, and I still don't know how I did it.

• Picture of Robyn
    From Robyn  
    20 May 2016 at 17:09
    Edited on: 20 May 2016 at 17:10

Hello, support is available from Maggie's  for carers as well as people who have cancer. I sent you a private message earlier today you may not have seen it yet - it will explain a bit more about the support avialable here at Maggie's Online Centre. When you are logged in the message should show on your dasnboard. The online team are now off for the weekend and will reply to any messages on Monday.

Best wishes

Robyn

• From Anonymous
    20 May 2016 at 16:52

Hi I am a carer and look after my partner who has terminal lung cancer - is there a support for carers please?

• From Anonymous
    07 July 2014 at 11:24
    Edited on: 07 July 2014 at 11:25

To day was my first  treatment for radiotherapy after have 3 lumpectomy . It was good to move another step forward can see light at the end of the tunnel now .

Janice x

Displaying 1-10 of 14 comments

Pages

Registered Office: Maggie's, The Stables, Western General Hospital, Crewe Road, Edinburgh EH4 2XU   Registered Charity Number: SC024414
The Maggie Keswick Jencks Cancer Caring Centres Trust is a company limited by guarantee   Company Number: SC162451