Maggie's

See what's happening in the Community

You are not logged in.   Log In

Meet the team

As well as sharing experiences with our friendly online community, registered members are able to contact our experienced online team. The Centre is staffed during office hours and the online team aim to reply within 24 hours.

Psychologists and experts from other Maggie's Centres and partner organisations also facilitate some group and individual sessions.

Picture of Topic  'Today I am feeling' - managing emotions

Topic

Topic 'Today I am feeling' - managing emotions

Share how you are feeling and swap tips for managing stress with other members and the online team

• 186 conversations

Confused

Started by Anonymous on 28 January 2017 at 06:03

What initially was a dental concern is now being considered for cancer. My husband has a large polyp in his right maxillary sinus and we wait for biopsy result which will come on Monday. He is the love of my life and we have been together for 14 years since we were both 15. I am so scared and have been crying since last week. The possibility of losing him this early makes me want to lose my mind.He has lost weight and hasn't been his usual funny and charming self and I can't imagine this happening to us right when we started talking about having kids. :'(

Comments (3)

latest | oldest

Displaying 3 comments

• Picture of SusieQ
    From SusieQ  
    31 January 2017 at 09:16

Hi Sheila,

It may feel like more uncertainty and worry, whilst they clarify what is going on. I wonder if it's all the factors that they've looked at so far, that are making the doctors veer towards a malignancy diagnosis?

You mentioned that he'd been losing weight (although that could be stress related, as I imagine he's worried about the outcome too), which they may be taking into consideration.

It's hard, because you may have to mentally prepare yourself for the possibility of it being cancer, whilst keeping a kernel of hope that it's not.

I'll message you personally, so we can keep in touch,

Warm wishes

Sue

• From Anonymous
    31 January 2017 at 05:01

Hi Susie,

Results aren't available yet. It still needs to decalcify they said. We need to come in for an MRI and another CT Scan but the request form already says possible diagnosis is nasomaxillary mass malignancy. This is disheartening to see since biopsy results still aren't in. I guess when doctors say they're are rarely wrong. I hope this doctor is though. :'(

Shiela

• Picture of SusieQ
    From SusieQ  
    30 January 2017 at 09:45
    Edited on: 30 January 2017 at 09:46

Hello,

What a worrying time for you...

I realise that this morning will be the biopsy result - so will be thinking of you. My first thought is, that as natural as it is to think the very worst, go with an open mind.

The word 'cancer' fills many people with fear, and that's understandable with all the media coverage, and seemingly endless stream of cancer discussions on TV, radio, etc.

Today's focus will be on finding out if the polyp is cancerous, and then...if it is...what are the treatment plans?

It is scary...the possibility of your husband having cancer, sounds to have tipped your world upside down. Things may feel out of control at the moment - and without all the information, you've been left to wonder, and worry about the worst possible scenarios.

Hopefully today will give you some answers. I hope you'll let us know what the outcome is, and then we can talk 'behind the scenes' about how to get through this...

Warm wishes

Sue

Displaying 3 comments

Registered Office: Maggie's, The Stables, Western General Hospital, Crewe Road, Edinburgh EH4 2XU   Registered Charity Number: SC024414
The Maggie Keswick Jencks Cancer Caring Centres Trust is a company limited by guarantee   Company Number: SC162451