Maggie's

See what's happening in the Community

You are not logged in.   Log In

Meet the team

As well as sharing experiences with our friendly online community, registered members are able to contact our experienced online team. The Centre is staffed during office hours and the online team aim to reply within 24 hours.

Psychologists and experts from other Maggie's Centres and partner organisations also facilitate some group and individual sessions.

Picture of Topic Living with loss

Topic

Topic Living with loss

For anyone who has lost someone due to cancer

• 146 conversations

Three and a half years

Started by Anonymous on 29 December 2017 at 10:12
Edited on 29 December 2017 at 10:17

I thought I would 'come back' and write something which might just help those starting out on this 'journey'.

When my lovely Ken passed away on the 14th May 2014...I never thought I would smile or laughter or be happy again....

But I have and I do and I am...not all the time, there are still moments of quiet reflection and sadness and the 'missing him' times....like just before Xmas on what would have been our 21st Wedding Anniversary...

BUT - I have done so much, meet so many new friends, travelled and experienced so many wonderful times and places and continuing to do so....

So what has helped me:

1) Family - wonderful support of my dad, brother and step family...

2) Existing friends mostly from my bowls club...

3) Walking - joined ramblers and being out walking is so so helpful...even in the early days when things were so bad...at least I could take 'pleasure' in the countryside.

4) Travel - seeing new places, walking holidays, trip to Australia...too many to mention.

5) Widening my circle - it takes a lot of people to replace that one 'special' person....I have found great help from a Way Up (and also Way) as part of this process.

6) Being positive - trying to smile even when you want to cry...looking for something good in each day....

Anyway just my random thoughts which hopefully might let someone see a light at the end of a tunnel...

Comments (1)

Displaying 1 comments

• From Anonymous
    25 February 2018 at 07:13

Thank you. That's very helpful

Displaying 1 comments

Registered Office: Maggie's, The Stables, Western General Hospital, Crewe Road, Edinburgh EH4 2XU   Registered Charity Number: SC024414
The Maggie Keswick Jencks Cancer Caring Centres Trust is a company limited by guarantee   Company Number: SC162451