Maggie's

See what's happening in the Community

You are not logged in.   Log In

Meet the team

As well as sharing experiences with our friendly online community, registered members are able to contact our experienced online team. The Centre is staffed during office hours and the online team aim to reply within 24 hours.

Psychologists and experts from other Maggie's Centres and partner organisations also facilitate some group and individual sessions.

Picture of Kitchen table (general chat)

Topic

Kitchen table (general chat)

General conversations to join in and talk with other members and the Online team

• 663 conversations

Saying hello

Started by Piscesjo on 06 June 2017 at 10:20

Hi All, My name is Jo and I've just joined Maggies online. I'm 56 and I live and work in the West Midlands. In march this year I was diagnosed with bowel cancer and in April underwent an op to remove the tumour and part of my sigmoid colon. I am now 6 weeks post op, recovering well , back driving and doing all the things I did before ( maybe just a bit more slowly!) The diagnosis came as a great shock as I felt reasonably fit and healthy prior to diagnosis and initially had few symptoms. It was a bit of blood when going to the toilet that prompted me to go to my GP and thank goodness I did, as sigmoidoscopy revealed a 35mm tumour in my sigmoid colon which was starting to obstruct my lower bowel. I am currently awaiting an appointment with an Oncologist to discuss chemotherapy options and to find out more about the tests that were undertaken on the removed tumour by histology. The only thing I'm not doing yet is working as I was signed off sick by my GP when I was first diagnosed. I work for the NHS as an Occupational Therapist with people who have dementia. It feels strange not to go into work every day and even stranger to be on the receiving end of treatment! If anyone is experiencing a similar journey or if anyone has tips regarding strategies to try to maintain a positive attitude please get in touch. I love photography, art, creative writing, visiting beautiful gardens and interesting places and am trying to continue to do all of these. I am finding that my world ( and my families world) is dominated by all things "cancer" at the moment and it does need a lot of emotional resilience to try to deal with this. Also waiting for appointments and not really knowing what lies ahead is often frustrating and disconcerting. Please get in touch and say hello, it would be great to hear from people. ?? Jo x

Picture of Piscesjo

Comments (1)

Displaying 1 comments

• From Anonymous
    06 June 2017 at 11:13

Hi Jo, welcome to Maggies.

I was diagnosed with prostate cancer last year. I'm currently on hormone therapy and into the 4th week of an 8 week radiotherapy course at Cheltenham General.

Like you I'm into photography, although seem to find little time for it, despite retiring after my diagnosis.

I've also suffered with the frustration of delayed appointments and the anxiety that goes it. It can all seem overwhelming at first, and I dare say that you'll spend a lot of time researching various aspects of the disease, nutrition etc. I'm sure that, in time, your life will come back into some sort of balance.

Feel free to contact me, if there's anything you need to talk about.

All the best,

Keith.

Displaying 1 comments

Registered Office: Maggie's, The Stables, Western General Hospital, Crewe Road, Edinburgh EH4 2XU   Registered Charity Number: SC024414
The Maggie Keswick Jencks Cancer Caring Centres Trust is a company limited by guarantee   Company Number: SC162451