Maggie's

See what's happening in the Community

You are not logged in.   Log In

Meet the team

As well as sharing experiences with our friendly online community, registered members are able to contact our experienced online team. The Centre is staffed during office hours and the online team aim to reply within 24 hours.

Psychologists and experts from other Maggie's Centres and partner organisations also facilitate some group and individual sessions.

Picture of Friends and family

Topic

Friends and family

For anyone supporting someone else with cancer

• 151 conversations

Hi everyone

Started by Anonymous on 06 December 2017 at 20:44

Hi everyone. I'm new to the forum. Just looking for any info and support I can get. My best friend has terminal bowel cancer that has spread. also my partner has just been diagnosed with stage 4 kidney cancer that has spread to his lungs. I am just feeling overwhelmed at the moment and just hoping others will have some advice etc. Has anyone got any experience of medications that have been tried alongside standard treatments? Thanks. Lin

Comments (1)

Displaying 1 comments

• Picture of SusieQ
    From SusieQ  
    07 December 2017 at 09:48
    Edited on: 07 December 2017 at 09:55

Hello Lin,

I realise you're hoping to hear from others who are experiencing what you are, at the moment. I just wanted to add that there's no wonder you're feeling overwhelmed - you've got two of the most important people in your life with cancer.

Your partner's new diagnosis will have been a big shock, I imagine. I dont know if he's got a treatment plan yet, but stage 4 kidney cancer it may be that he's offered a targeted therapy such as Sutent (Sunitinib).

With so much going on, it's a lot to bear on your own...have you other family and friends around for support? You'd be very welcome to drop into any of our Maggie's Centres. Just having a space where you're among people who understand what you're all going through, can help alleviate the intense distress.

It's important to look after yourself too, in the midst of all this, as there's a great deal going on. You may find my blog..'what cancer means for carers' to give some useful tips.

I'll message you too...

Warm wishes

Sue

Displaying 1 comments

Registered Office: Maggie's, The Stables, Western General Hospital, Crewe Road, Edinburgh EH4 2XU   Registered Charity Number: SC024414
The Maggie Keswick Jencks Cancer Caring Centres Trust is a company limited by guarantee   Company Number: SC162451