Maggie's

See what's happening in the Community

You are not logged in.   Log In

Meet the team

As well as sharing experiences with our friendly online community, registered members are able to contact our experienced online team. The Centre is staffed during office hours and the online team aim to reply within 24 hours.

Psychologists and experts from other Maggie's Centres and partner organisations also facilitate some group and individual sessions.

Picture of Topic  'Today I am feeling' - managing emotions

Topic

Topic 'Today I am feeling' - managing emotions

Share how you are feeling and swap tips for managing stress with other members and the online team

• 186 conversations

Confused, tired and afraid.

Started by Anonymous on 30 June 2011 at 11:01

Anyone who has looked at my blog will get the title. My head hurts all the time. Roll on Sunday....I need my fix of Top Gear.

Comments (3)

latest | oldest

Displaying 3 comments

• From Anonymous
    30 June 2011 at 22:48

Hi Trisha,

Good that you found some release, do what comes we all react differently. But when you feel like you are not heard, that really can work on your mind, so glad you got to spend time with your nurse. She sounds as if she can hear and has the expertise and connection to be a real help. You need a good supportive interpreter at times to understand "Doctor speak"!!

OOPs sorry it was CLarkson not Paxman, LOL. You probably got what I meant? I tried to send a message earlier but the system was down for a while? that may be why you didn't get a swift response from anyone. But  I believe admin are working on things?

Take care both

Nick

• From Anonymous
    30 June 2011 at 21:10

Hi Nick,

Your comments really cheered me up, thank you! I showed Paul and he is glad that I am able to share with people who really 'get it', as you do. It is sometimes so very hard to think that even though you know you are speaking English, you still ain't gonna be heard, because is isn't 'DOCTOR SPEAK'!!! My community cancer nurse came to help me sort out the mess in my head, and she is sooo lovely. Understanding goes a long way when there is much to be said and not too much time..though I will say, she does not ever give me the feeling that there is a better place for her to be. So she has made those who need to know aware of how I feel, and tomorrow they are expecting me to call. And so I will. The lovely lady doctor who will be performing the removal is still going to be the surgeon of chioce, as I trust her. The other remains to be seen. 

The general consenus around me has been that a good cry has been what I have needed...welllllll, I did that in spades today. I also managed to mow some of the back garden, hoover around both floors, and used these very noisy machines to cover my rather pitiful expulsions, therefore twice making me feel better. Something done and something released!

My nearest Maggies in Nottingham, which is far too much of a building site to risk it at the moment, but I will be there when it opens, and by golly, when I am fully operated on and recovered from that, will be very active in fundraising. I used to fundraise around Kirton, from the Kirton News parish magazine, to the Brass Band youth section. I set off with an idea one afternoon, and 2 hours later came back with over £250, which bought the new shirts for the band!!

I have found being able to write on here so beneficial.............is there an oportunity to get an instant messaging system? So on-liners can interact? It would certainly help if you really needed an answer quickly....ADMIN? You listening?

You take care Nick....hope to see some lovely summer activity piccies with your kids on your profile soon. There will be on mine...soon as I work out how to get the new phone to give them up!!! 

• From Anonymous
    30 June 2011 at 19:45
    Edited on: 30 June 2011 at 20:18

Hi Trisha,

Have been following your blog, you've been put through it lately. It's hard sometimes when we trying to relate to our consultants opinion or take on news to us. i wonder if their apparent detatched delivery is their own safety mechanism, quite often all you can here is jargon and their practiced delivery. probably no where near whats going through your mind at the time!! I think many appear to lack people skills, I used to think they needed a docter booklet on actual human beings and how too comunicate or understand. perhaps this helps distance them from the actual pain of it all? You sure know when you've got one you can trust and you feel understands your needs. The hard part is getting the chance to find the one or develope a relationship, you are entitled to a second opinion, I guess you have to consult with another surgeon anyway?

Jeremy Paxman's(not sure if it's his name) definately the man for you, helping avoid those who cut you up or barge in on the way to hospitol. Not sure what his take would be though? probably messy!!

I'm not sure what to suggest to help ease the head pain bottling up with all the stress and worry. Maybe a visit to A Maggies drop in could help, if there's one close enough? I'm sure others will chip in with any suggestions. It will ease, knowing that doesn't help now though!

take care

Nick

PS; From the Independant 11th May

Bad drivers will be hit with fixed-penalty fines of up to £100 under a Government scheme which aims to cut road deaths by as much as 57% within 20 years.

Motorists who tailgate, undertake or cut up other drivers could be handed the fine rather than being taken to court.

Don't gat mad get even!!! report bad driving. The guy who parked in the handicapped bay, who probably wasn't anyway probably thought he could ignor that law too.

Displaying 3 comments

Registered Office: Maggie's, The Stables, Western General Hospital, Crewe Road, Edinburgh EH4 2XU   Registered Charity Number: SC024414
The Maggie Keswick Jencks Cancer Caring Centres Trust is a company limited by guarantee   Company Number: SC162451