Maggie's

See what's happening in the Community

You are not logged in.   Log In

Meet the team

As well as sharing experiences with our friendly online community, registered members are able to contact our experienced online team. The Centre is staffed during office hours and the online team aim to reply within 24 hours.

Psychologists and experts from other Maggie's Centres and partner organisations also facilitate some group and individual sessions.

Picture of Healthy eating and cancer

Topic

Healthy eating and cancer

Read informative blogs from our nutritional advisor Caroline, post queries, share experiences around nutrition in the conversations, message Caroline privately or book a live chat session.

• 290 conversations

Did you know?

Started by CarolineH   on 11 April 2017 at 12:11

I was reading an article by James Wong the Botanist who has appeared many times on the TV. The article was about chocolate which I thought was very topical. We have known for a long time that the darker the chocolate the better it seems for us because it is rich oin polyphenols, but he highlighted an intewrsting point that I did not realise. It is all about Dutched chocolate! I wonder have any of you heard of 'Dutched' chocolate? Apparently it is to be avoided. Ditched chocolate is preserved with Potassium carbonate which is a food additive added to cocoa powders to balance out their acidity. This chemical process can slash the health promoting polyphenols in dark chocolate by as much as 80%. This is done to even the most fanciest of chocolates including organic brands. So when buying chocolate avoid the brands with the Potassium carbonate in it or in other words chocolate that has been Dutched, that is if you want to get the health benefits as well as the pleasure from your chocolate.

Caroline

Picture of CarolineH

Registered Office: Maggie's, The Stables, Western General Hospital, Crewe Road, Edinburgh EH4 2XU   Registered Charity Number: SC024414
    The Maggie Keswick Jencks Cancer Caring Centres Trust is a company limited by guarantee   Company Number: SC162451