Maggie's

See what's happening in the Community

You are not logged in.   Log In

Meet the team

As well as sharing experiences with our friendly online community, registered members are able to contact our experienced online team. The Centre is staffed during office hours and the online team aim to reply within 24 hours.

Psychologists and experts from other Maggie's Centres and partner organisations also facilitate some group and individual sessions.

Picture of Topic  'Today I am feeling' - managing emotions

Topic

Topic 'Today I am feeling' - managing emotions

Share how you are feeling and swap tips for managing stress with other members and the online team

• 186 conversations

Feelings

Started by Anonymous on 07 September 2016 at 19:33

I found out three weeks ago I had breast cancer. Went to surgeon 10 days ago and was due to get surgery yesterday. My family and friends were unexpectedly so upset that I then found I could not vent any of my feelings or fears with them and had not cried a tear. I just went on as my usual happy positive person. However I was due to get surgery yesterday and after I had all my checks done and was ready to get the radioactive jag the anesthetic person decided that as I had a small jaw therefore difficult to intubate I would have to be done as an in patient at a bigger hospital. This was enough for me to hit a brick wall. I was then called yesterday afternoon to be told I would have to wait until the 21st September. I practically had a nervous breakdown but went to my GP to be put on diazepam & sleeping tablets not ideal but have helped already. Feel such a dumpling for losing it but hopefully the next two weeks will go quick by keeping working and busy with family. Thanks for listening to my post but it has been so good to get it all out. ??

Comments (2)

latest | oldest

Displaying 2 comments

• From Anonymous
    08 September 2016 at 19:20

Thanks Sue after getting a good nights sleep the last two days have left me feeling silly especially as I am usually a totally positive person. Your comments have answered a lot of questions and I am now back to my usual bubbly cheery positive person so thanks again for your positive comments Elizabeth

• Picture of SusieQ
    From SusieQ  
    08 September 2016 at 10:44

Hello,

It can feel bewildering when you're normally someone who feels optimistic and cheerful - to suddenly have to deal with the news of a cancer diagnosis. You may have felt you had to be seen to be coping - and found yourself comforting your friends and family, rather than the other way round.

Somehow you held it all together - and then yesterday happened - enough to send most of us into a flat spin. Having prepared yourself for the surgery, to have it cancelled at the eleventh hour, would have a tipping point.

You did the right thing by acknowledging your distress, and going to see your GP. You may find you dont need the diazepam as much, as your normal equilibrium gently returns.

Fortunately, the next surgical date is still within safe guidelines for cancer surgery, and the cancer won't be growing madly in the meantime (often a fear when waiting for tests and surgery etc).

Maybe look into ways to support yourself over the next couple of weeks. Finding ways to sieze control back, after this initial (and understandable) wobble. Relaxation and breathing exercises can help - for example, these from our Maggie's Cancerlink's information webpages.

If you live near one of our Maggie's Centres, you'd be very welcome to drop in, and find other ways to access support, and find ways to help manage the next weeks and months of your treatment. There's also a handy blog on 'coping with a cancer diagnosis' which has some tips to help you through.

You're also welcome to get in touch with Robyn or myself, if you'd like to talk anything through. I hope today is a better day,

Warm wishes

Sue

Displaying 2 comments

Registered Office: Maggie's, The Stables, Western General Hospital, Crewe Road, Edinburgh EH4 2XU   Registered Charity Number: SC024414
The Maggie Keswick Jencks Cancer Caring Centres Trust is a company limited by guarantee   Company Number: SC162451