Maggie's

See what's happening in the Community

You are not logged in.   Log In

Meet the team

As well as sharing experiences with our friendly online community, registered members are able to contact our experienced online team. The Centre is staffed during office hours and the online team aim to reply within 24 hours.

Psychologists and experts from other Maggie's Centres and partner organisations also facilitate some group and individual sessions.

Picture of Topic After cancer treatment

Topic

Topic After cancer treatment

Finished treatment? Trying to find a new normal or perhaps feeling a bit lost and anxious - share experiences and practical tips with other members and the online team.

• 42 conversations

Just chatting...

Started by Anonymous on 15 April 2016 at 16:16

Hello everyone :-)

I was diagnosed with breast cancer in December 2015 after a standard mammogram. I had no idea anything was wrong. You know I only shed a few tears once and that was telling a colleague that  I was waiting for the results. When it came back positive I was actually OK about it, because just shedding those few tears gave me the release I needed.

Surgery was in January and thankfully the cancer had not spread into the lymph nodes so just needed radiotherapy. I finished my treatment 4th April 2016 and now are the side effects kicking in.

I am a fairly stong person with a very positive outlook in life. I bounced back pretty quickly after surgery, in fact I was driving 2 days afterwards - only a short distance though and someone was with me just in case I ended up in a ditch!

The negative aspects are that I had to stop HRT because my tumour was hormone related and the night sweats and hot flushes came back with a vengence. I am on Tamoxifen and will be for 5 years and one of the side effects of these little  hormone bashers is night sweats and hot flushes - ARRGGHH!

For me a combination of Clonidine and Vitamin E is helping. You must not take Vitamin E during treatment, so leave it for a few days after you have finished your radiotherapy and then try it, it really does help.

The other area is not being able to sleep: combination of all the bashing my body has had, night sweats and getting into a cycle of not sleeping. Not good. I have asked the doctor for something to help with this, just for a few days to get back  into the normal sleep pattern - hopefully it will help!

The one thing though I have found that helps without fail: a positive mental attitude. Sounds a bit corny, but it really does work. Take care of you and your body. Listen to your body and stop when it tells you. You will then start to appreciate how lucky you are that you are not alone.

I found Maggies when I started radiotherapy and the help and support was so reassuring and helpful beyond words. People there understood exactly what I was going through, there was no embarrassment or anxiety about talking about the big C as most of them had been through it all, some with far worst cases than me.

I am lucky that I have a small business and can dictate when I work and when I don't, but I still need to pay the mortgage and feed the dog so getting the right balance between working and resting is really important.

Sorry I have gone on a bit, I just wanted to share and hook up with you.

Be good to you :-)

Cheryl xx

Comments (3)

latest | oldest

Displaying 3 comments

• From Anonymous
    19 September 2016 at 13:53

Hi Cheryl have just seen your reply. I am finding it difficult to work out how this site works but managing it by pressing all the headings lol. Have been to Malta on one occasion and found it brilliant with lots of historical places to visit. I wish I lived in or near the beautiful highlands. I currently live in Cumbernauld as more suitable for work and family. Will keep in touch n let you know how Wednesday goes.Thanks again Elizabeth :-)

• From Anonymous
    19 September 2016 at 10:21

Hi Elizabeth

Sorry for delay in coming back to you, I was on holiday.

Hope all goes well with the operation! You will be fine I know. the surgeons and nurses are superb so you will be in very capable hands.

An  update: I found that the hot flushes from Tamoxifen were not being helped by Clonidine anymore so  I did lots of research and found Gabapentin which has made a great difference to the intensity of the flushes and night sweats. You will still get them but definitely not as bad.

I was in Malta for my hols and it was hot, so I ended up as a puddle most of time - don't think anything could have helped with the flushes there!

Really hope it goes all well with you and you will be back on form in no time at all.

Let me know how you get  on? Are you based in the Highlands?

Cheryl

x

• From Anonymous
    08 September 2016 at 19:51
    Edited on: 16 September 2016 at 19:31

Hi Cheryl your post was very informative. I am heading for surgery on the 21 September (as my first surgery on the 6th was cancelled at the last minute) and am hoping for a positive outcome of just operation and radiotherapy. Thanks again for the information Elizabeth :-)

Displaying 3 comments

Registered Office: Maggie's, The Stables, Western General Hospital, Crewe Road, Edinburgh EH4 2XU   Registered Charity Number: SC024414
The Maggie Keswick Jencks Cancer Caring Centres Trust is a company limited by guarantee   Company Number: SC162451