Maggie's

See what's happening in the Community

You are not logged in.   Log In

Meet the team

As well as sharing experiences with our friendly online community, registered members are able to contact our experienced online team. The Centre is staffed during office hours and the online team aim to reply within 24 hours.

Psychologists and experts from other Maggie's Centres and partner organisations also facilitate some group and individual sessions.

Picture of Topic  'Today I am feeling' - managing emotions

Topic

Topic 'Today I am feeling' - managing emotions

Share how you are feeling and swap tips for managing stress with other members and the online team

• 186 conversations

I feel like I am being selfish.

Started by Anonymous on 21 August 2013 at 08:20

I started off so accepting and in fact not particularly bothered. Something in my feelings has shifted and I feel guilty about it all of a sudden. I feel like the novelty has worn off, it is awful to feel like I want to be the centre of attention because wat kind of idiot thinks that right? Why am I changing my outlook? Am I just getting tired? Is t be ause I have nonrealidea wat is happening yet and not yet got a treatment plan? Is it be ause of feel like manky queen since no hair wash for weeks? May I hasten to add and apologise in advance I currently feel I am going to have a rant day all day. I also feel that so many of you guys are reaching g and responding to me, but I have not offered even remotely close support back I do feel it but for some reason I findit hard to do. It's as if I can talk re me, but not others sat makes mine harder to deal at times, I hate how selfish it makes me.

Comments (2)

latest | oldest

Displaying 2 comments

• From Anonymous
    07 July 2014 at 20:18

Hello,

It sounds like you are feeling overwhelmed right now, your brain and emotions are multi-tasking, maybe because delayed reaction has set in.  I don't think you're being selfish.

Best wishes

Louise

• Picture of SusieQ
    From SusieQ  
    21 August 2013 at 08:56

Hello,

....it doesn't sound selfish to want/need as much support and encouragement as you can get when you're going through something as big as a cancer diagnosis....

You will be busy emotionally and physically trying to process the events of the last few weeks, and it's natural that your mood will be variable...the steroids, great and necessary though they are, also contribute to mood swings...and you are right to think you'll be tired...

Your appointment tomorrow should bring some focus, as hopefully they'll come up with the plan of treatment, and they may start reducing your medication. It might be worth popping to see your practcie nurse, seeing if she can check your operation site....she'll be able to assure you that you should be able to wash your hair gently now...that in itself may help you feel a little more you...

Sometimes at point of diagnosis, it doesn't feel very real, and you may have been so relieved to have had the surgery, and got home safely...and been surrounded by concern...that it all feels totally managable emotionally... I'm thinking that now is about the time where the reality of the diagnosis has begun to sink in a bit....

This may all feel much more managable once you've been seen by the experts tomorrow, and don't feel you have to give back support...you're the one that needs it at the moment,...

It would be good to know how you get on tomorrow...in the mean time, be kind to yourself...

Very best wishes

Sue

Displaying 2 comments

Registered Office: Maggie's, The Stables, Western General Hospital, Crewe Road, Edinburgh EH4 2XU   Registered Charity Number: SC024414
The Maggie Keswick Jencks Cancer Caring Centres Trust is a company limited by guarantee   Company Number: SC162451