Maggie's

See what's happening in the Community

You are not logged in.   Log In

Meet the team

As well as sharing experiences with our friendly online community, registered members are able to contact our experienced online team. The Centre is staffed during office hours and the online team aim to reply within 24 hours.

Psychologists and experts from other Maggie's Centres and partner organisations also facilitate some group and individual sessions.

Picture of After cancer treatment

Topic

After cancer treatment

Finished treatment? Trying to find a new normal or perhaps feeling a bit lost and anxious - share experiences and practical tips with other members and the online team.

• 42 conversations

Not coping to great

Started by Anonymous on 04 April 2018 at 10:46

Hi I'm 50 years old In November 2016 I was diagnosed with stage 4 lung cancer. It had spread to my brain, lymph nodes and pelvis. After 3 months of chemo and radiotherapy on my head I was told that the initial tumour in my lung my pelvis and my head had gone and my lymph nodes had shrunk. 6 months later everything was still the same. But at a check up in November I was told I had another one in my head. After more radio and scans I was told the one in my head hadn't gone but had not grown at all. My family think I should be over the moon with this and I feel like I should too but for some reason I'm not and can't understand why. I feel as if its gradually starting to sneak back but nobody seems to understand this I've coped really well all through diagnosis and treatment and basically just brushed it off. But the last few weeks it's as if I've been hit by a sledge hammer and the fear that this is really happening to me has sunk in I feel awful having these thoughts because although I wasn't given a good outlook I swore I would prove them wrong and have remained positive all through this

Comments (1)

Displaying 1 comments

• Picture of SusieQ
    From SusieQ  
    09 April 2018 at 11:03
    Edited on: 09 April 2018 at 11:03

Hello,

I hope you dont mind me dropping you a line - even though it's from someone on the outside looking in. You've raised an issue that crops up many times - the feelings and fear often felt when the cancer treatment hs finished. (You may have seen my recent blog, 'Feelings after cancer treatment?')

You've possibly been so focused on getting through the treatment plan, that it's only now, that the emotions are flooding in. I can imagine it's hard to let go of the fear that the cancer may come back, and it can feel challenging to be in a celebratory mood. Family and friends often mean well, when they seem over the moon with your recent treatment and scans.

There's a lot of pressure for people with cancer to 'be positive'. This can sometimes trigger guilty feelings when there's a 'down' day, or you feel anxious. However, it's natural to have worries - you've been through a great deal, and it can be difficult to trust your body again.

I dont know if you live near one of our Maggie's Centres - if you do, you'd be welcome to drop in and talk through how you feel. Having the chance to talk about your fears, and be amongst others who have been there too, can be a great support.

You're also welcome to get in touch with Robyn or myself anytime, to talk anything through in more detail,

Warm wishes

Sue

Displaying 1 comments

Registered Office: Maggie's, The Stables, Western General Hospital, Crewe Road, Edinburgh EH4 2XU   Registered Charity Number: SC024414
The Maggie Keswick Jencks Cancer Caring Centres Trust is a company limited by guarantee   Company Number: SC162451