Maggie's

See what's happening in the Community

You are not logged in.   Log In

Meet the team

As well as sharing experiences with our friendly online community, registered members are able to contact our experienced online team. The Centre is staffed during office hours and the online team aim to reply within 24 hours.

Psychologists and experts from other Maggie's Centres and partner organisations also facilitate some group and individual sessions.

Picture of Topic After cancer treatment

Topic

Topic After cancer treatment

Finished treatment? Trying to find a new normal or perhaps feeling a bit lost and anxious - share experiences and practical tips with other members and the online team.

• 42 conversations

After chemo

Started by Anonymous on 25 October 2016 at 08:25

Hi I have just finished my course of chemo for breast cancer! I have radio therapy in a months time! I wonder how I can now move on a little and stay positive I am starting to worry for the first time! Has the chemo worked? Will it come back?

Comments (1)

Displaying 1 comments

• Picture of SusieQ
    From SusieQ  
    25 October 2016 at 09:51
    Edited on: 25 October 2016 at 09:51

Hello,

You're not alone in having these thoughts and worries.

At the beginning of treatment for cancer, the goal is to complete it, and get back to some sense of normality. In reality, this is much easier said than done, and you're possibly hitting the natural point where uncertainty creeps in again...

It may feel very strange, having had your last cycle of chemotherapy, and for a month, there'll be no more check up's, hospital visits, chemo routines to think about...and it can feel a bit like being a fledgling teetering on the edge of the nest. You're leaving the familiar (albeit temporary, and not something you'd asked for), and entering the new world of cancer survivorship.

New beginnings, but still a great deal of psychological and physical impact to process from all that went before. Most people when they're are nearing or completing the end of treatment have similar 'wobbles' - where uncertainty about the future creeps back in. Cancer.Net have a webpage 'Coping with the fear of recurrence' which makes some valid points, and also gives way to manage the thoughts creeping in at this point.

If you live near any of our Maggie's Centres, now might be a good time to drop in, and talk through some positive steps you can take to manage this transition period. You may feel more in control of the future by doing all you can to optimise good future wellbeing - nutrition, exercise, relaxation techniques, stress management, etc. Something to think about post your radiotherapy might be the Maggie's Centres 'Where Now' course, which is available in our physical centres and *here at Maggie's Online Centre.

Recognising the beginning of some worries and doing something about it can help make things feel less scary...

You're also very welcome to messsage Robyn or myself and discuss any other concerns you may have - you dont have to do this alone...

Warm wishes

Sue

*(to find out more about our online courses/workshops and groups - simply follow the link here)

Displaying 1 comments

Registered Office: Maggie's, The Stables, Western General Hospital, Crewe Road, Edinburgh EH4 2XU   Registered Charity Number: SC024414
The Maggie Keswick Jencks Cancer Caring Centres Trust is a company limited by guarantee   Company Number: SC162451