Maggie's

See what's happening in the Community

You are not logged in.   Log In

Meet the team

As well as sharing experiences with our friendly online community, registered members are able to contact our experienced online team. The Centre is staffed during office hours and the online team aim to reply within 24 hours.

Psychologists and experts from other Maggie's Centres and partner organisations also facilitate some group and individual sessions.

Picture of Topic After cancer treatment

Topic

Topic After cancer treatment

Finished treatment? Trying to find a new normal or perhaps feeling a bit lost and anxious - share experiences and practical tips with other members and the online team.

• 42 conversations

Me after treatment

Started by Anonymous on 23 April 2016 at 11:09

Hi Everyone,

My name is Tracey.  I was diagnosed with Breast cancer in Feb 2015. Have had chemo,(which was very tough going, had to stop before finishing the course as was damaging my stomach), lumpectomy & radiotherapy which finished in November 2015.  I am currently in remission & having herceptin injections every 3 weeks until Oct 2016. Have had a very tough year as have lost my father & 2 of my cousins to cancer & also lost an aunt who had a stroke & another aunt who had a clot on the brain.  Feeling very down at the moment, which is silly really as I am one of the lucky ones & in remission.  I returned part time to work in January but finding it very difficult as am so tired all of the time, some people have been a bit funny recently at work, I think that because I was given the all clear in Feb, they think that I should be alright, but unfortuanately I am now suffering with diverticulitis as well which means more time from work & time in hospital.  Am not very good at opening up & talking to people, don't want to bother them with any more of my troubles, but have been advised by my doctor & occupational therapist that it might help to connect with other people going through similar experiences.  So thats a little of my story... Hope I haven't waffled too much.

Comments (7)

latest | oldest

Displaying 7 comments

• From Anonymous
    19 June 2016 at 09:39

Hi MoonshineAng, sounds like you've had a really tough time. Losing your dad while you were dealing with a Cancer diagnosis must of been really hard. I can imagine you didn't really have time to grieve. So all those emotions added to learning to live with the 'new normal' is bound to be tough! I think we need to realise that the people around us can't be expected to truly understand how hard this is, because they haven't been through it. People seem to sympathise with illness/injuries that they can see! But non visual problems are a bit tougher. Fatigue is very tough, and I really don't think anyone....including health professionals...really get how difficult and frustrating it can be. So that in turn leaves us feeling very isolated and alone. Which is why sites like this are amazing. A chance to say how we really feel a chance to see that how we feel is 'normal'! Learning to live life during/after Cancer is tough. But we will all get there eventually ;-) Always happy to listen. Xxx

• From Anonymous
    18 June 2016 at 20:32

Hi Tracey I can relate to lots that you have mentioned . I was diagnosed with grade 2 breast cancer in May 2015 , had a mastectomy with flap reconstruction in the July which I actually came through well even surprising myself how strong I was ! Then I had 4 rounds of EC chemo which I also found very tough , finishing in November 2015 I went back to work in January 2016 was ok for about three months then the fatique set in and since then I've been on an emotional roller coaster . My work colleagues seem to think that as I've finished most of my treatment I'm back to normal . My dad died last June and my brother has been very difficult and even emotionally and physically upsetting me . Thanks for your comments BellasGirl especially reminding us about our work colleagues and that it's still early days . Guess all we can try and do is work our way through all this trying to get used to our new 'normal ' with the support of each other . Trying to keep strong xx

• From Anonymous
    27 April 2016 at 20:55

Hi Tracey, I know exactly what you mean about the hair growing out....not down! But it'll get there. I HAD to colour mine when I realised I was starting to look like my mother!! I love her dearly but don't want to look like her ;-) The group you mentioned sounds like it's worth a go. You will at least see that how you are feeling is 'normal'! How you doing at work this week? Not letting them get to you, I hope. I'm okay thanks. Having a few ups and downs, but I'll get there.....eventually ;-) xx

• From Anonymous
    27 April 2016 at 15:36

Aww thank you.  I really should get around to colouring my hair, I suppose I just feel that it is a complete mess anyway at the moment that it is not worth doing.  My hair seems to be growing out & not down & has these wierd curly "wings" to it, I tell people that I resemble a woolley sheep Lol.  It really is tough when the way you look changes, especially when it is such a dramatic change, I don't know about you but my hair was always almost like a shield for me & also doesn't help that the medication that you go on makes you put weight on as well.  Just seems that there are so many things that I need to tackle/change, but in all honesty I really don't know where to begin.....

Popped into my local Maggies whilst I was at my hospital appointment this week, they said to maybe go along to their Where Now group, so might give it a go, depending on when it is. 

How are you, hope you're ok & having a good week.

Take care

T.xxx

• From Anonymous
    24 April 2016 at 14:02

Hi Tracey, oh the glorious grey hair! I now colour mine, and keep hoping and praying that eventually the natural colour will come back into it! But no luck yet. I know that in the whole scheme of things, it's no big deal. But it really bothers me on my, not so good days. It's one of those things that people around us, really don't understand. But that's life. Glad you are having a good weekend, it's been nice to see a bit of sunshine. Good Luck with all your appointments next week. As for being positive.....I wouldn't be too hard on yourself, it's going to take a while to get used to the new you. But I am sure eventually we will both get there ;-) Having said that I think it's also realistic to grieve the 'old' you first. Always around if you need to chat xxx

• From Anonymous
    24 April 2016 at 10:48

Thank you so much for your kind words, it helps to know that there are people who really understand what you are going through, all of the ups & downs etc.  Yes you are right, def have to face the fact that I won't be the old me again, I think that is one of the toughest things to accept.  I look in the mirror now & look completely different to how I used to be, My hair has grown back completley white grey!!! Was long & blonde before, should be grateful that I do have my own hair back again.  Yes am having a nice relaxing weekend thank you preparing myself for my round of hospital & doctors check ups for next week. Am trying to get positive about myself but as you said, it is early days & will take time.  Hope you are also having a good weekend.

T. :) xxx

• From Anonymous
    23 April 2016 at 16:02

Hi Tracey, just wanted to come on and say, I totally understand how you are feeling. It's really tough when people around you think you are back to 'normal'! Chemo and Radiotherapy are tough, and it sounds like you had a really tough time with it. As for the tiredness, no one can understand how that really feels. I was diagnosed in 2013,in that time I've had lots of ups and downs. I think the most valuable thing I have learnt is that I had to face up to the fact that I was never going to be the old me again. My body had been through so much. So instead of looking at what you can't achieve, look at what you do achieve in a day! You have managed to go back to work, you are facing up to your feelings, you are sharing how you feel (something you said you aren't good at). Coming on here was a good move :-) As for your work colleagues, ignore them....let's hope they never find themselves on this horrid journey! They are just ignorant, they don't really understand and never will until they or someone close to them have been through it. I hope you are managing to have a lovely weekend. Keep going, you will work your way through this, it's still very early days. Take Care xx

Displaying 7 comments

Registered Office: Maggie's, The Stables, Western General Hospital, Crewe Road, Edinburgh EH4 2XU   Registered Charity Number: SC024414
The Maggie Keswick Jencks Cancer Caring Centres Trust is a company limited by guarantee   Company Number: SC162451