Maggie's

See what's happening in the Community

You are not logged in.   Log In

Meet the team

As well as sharing experiences with our friendly online community, registered members are able to contact our experienced online team. The Centre is staffed during office hours and the online team aim to reply within 24 hours.

Psychologists and experts from other Maggie's Centres and partner organisations also facilitate some group and individual sessions.

Picture of Benefits advice

Topic

Benefits advice

Read weekly blogs from benefits advisor Tom. Post questions, share experiences around financial support in the conversations, message Tom privately or book an online ‘live chat’ session.

• 135 conversations

Just lost my mam

Started by Anonymous on 11 November 2017 at 13:51

Hello I have just lost my mam due to cancer I was wondering if anyone can help me with some things I need to sort out e.g. debt 

Comments (2)

latest | oldest

Displaying 2 comments

• Picture of Tombenefits
    From Tombenefits  
    14 November 2017 at 11:35

Hello,

It must feel a very hard and weird time, right now.

There can be a whole lot of financial and benefit issues at this time, some immediately pressing, some that can wait a bit until you are in a better place for dealing with them.

Benefit claims may need closing, although for example any Carers Allowance and additions that you may have been getting run on for 8 weeks to give you some time before taking next steps.

There can be funeral costs, estates to be sorted and any remaining debts, although those stop with the estate. If for example there was very little estate to meet any debts., things tend to stop there. So don't feel that any debts somehow become yours.

No-one though expects everything to be sorted all at once though I know you may be feeling an anxiety and pressure to do so. 

I will message privately so that we can look at the soecific issues and concerns you have in your specific situation.

Best wishes,

Tom

Online Centre Benefits Advisor

• Picture of SusieQ
    From SusieQ  
    13 November 2017 at 13:39
    Edited on: 13 November 2017 at 16:12

Hello,

It is an emotional time for you - and the added worry about financial issues may be adding extra pressure. I've asked Tom (Tombenefits) to get in touch, as he will be able to guide you, and hopefully ease some of your concerns...

In the meantime, message Robyn or myself anytime, if there's anything you'd like to talk through...in these early days of grief. (I've sent you a personal message to introduce myself),

Warm wishes

Sue

Displaying 2 comments

Registered Office: Maggie's, The Stables, Western General Hospital, Crewe Road, Edinburgh EH4 2XU   Registered Charity Number: SC024414
The Maggie Keswick Jencks Cancer Caring Centres Trust is a company limited by guarantee   Company Number: SC162451