Maggie's

See what's happening in the Community

You are not logged in.   Log In

Meet the team

As well as sharing experiences with our friendly online community, registered members are able to contact our experienced online team. The Centre is staffed during office hours and the online team aim to reply within 24 hours.

Psychologists and experts from other Maggie's Centres and partner organisations also facilitate some group and individual sessions.

Picture of Topic  'Today I am feeling' - managing emotions

Topic

Topic 'Today I am feeling' - managing emotions

Share how you are feeling and swap tips for managing stress with other members and the online team

• 186 conversations

Sad and Lonely

Started by Anonymous on 19 August 2011 at 14:32

Hi,

Since yesterday I have been feeling pretty down! It was 16 months yesterday that my mum passed away :(
I can't seem to shake this feeling of being empty! Does that make sense?
I have been doing really well and just get on with things for the sake of others but not today - today is a bad day. I'm pretending that everything is ok to everyone else - especially work colleagues and family but it's far from alright! I am meant to be the strong one but I'm struggling to pretend to be that person now.
I feel like I'm letting my mum down by giving in and saying I can't cope.

I just don't know what to do!

I feel like I should be over feeling this way by now! I know everyone around me thinks that way!

Has anyone else experienced this?

Shaz x

Comments (3)

latest | oldest

Displaying 3 comments

• From Anonymous
    10 February 2012 at 08:48

Hi,

I know how you are feeling - it's so hard to loose you mum!

I'm new here, my mum died very recently in January (oesophagal cancer) and today is not so good. Sometimes I feel she is watching over us, but today I just feel awful that I can't talk to her any more. If I could even cry it would help, but I just feel a numb kind of pain. During the day I can laugh and joke, and maybe have a tear or two. Its at night that it comes, and I can't sleep.

I have lived abroad for the last 20 years, and that makes me feel a lot worse about everything because apart from phoning often, we met in person about once a year - and now she is gone forever. Sorry I can't be more smiley today, I think maybe its just too fresh.

My heart goes out to you, too , lots of greetings, I do believe that Spring will come, I just have a snow day today :-o

Would love to hear from you and hope you are having a godo day today X Duckinflight

• From Anonymous
    30 January 2012 at 16:19

Hi

I klnow what you may be feeling. My mum passed away and a month after this I was diagnosed with Advanced high grade stage 4b Non Hodgkins Lymphoma.

On my blog conversation today, I spoke about this feeling when it hits and theres nothing you can do. Then, I say to myself...and I know mum would have said the same thing and I know she's passed yet she's still present supporting me all the way. Anyway , your mum sounds to have been a very loving wonderful mum. And if she was, like mine was too, then she'd be saying there's nothing you can do or say that will let her down. She knows your pain, even more from her vantage point at present. Trust yourself my friend. All will work out and the dark times are times to be still, be kind to yourself even more.

Much Love, Maroushka

• From Anonymous
    01 September 2011 at 20:15

Hey Shaz

I hope you are feeling a bit more fabulous today :D x

I am sorry to hear that you lost your mum, its not something anyone should go through especially as you are so young.

Please dont be so hard on yourself, you are greiving you are allowed to feel whatever you want to feel, its normal, i think the greiving process never goes it just gets easier to cope with.

And dont ever feel you are letting any one down especially ya mum, just try and think about what she would say about it. Its ok to have bad days and enjoy they good days.

Smiling and spending time with people that make you laugh is helpful.

I find talking about the funny storys and things my loved ones used to say and do helps and laughing out loud about them :D 

Take care and keep smiling

Alli x

Displaying 3 comments

Registered Office: Maggie's, The Stables, Western General Hospital, Crewe Road, Edinburgh EH4 2XU   Registered Charity Number: SC024414
The Maggie Keswick Jencks Cancer Caring Centres Trust is a company limited by guarantee   Company Number: SC162451