Maggie's

See what's happening in the Community

You are not logged in.   Log In

Meet the team

As well as sharing experiences with our friendly online community, registered members are able to contact our experienced online team. The Centre is staffed during office hours and the online team aim to reply within 24 hours.

Psychologists and experts from other Maggie's Centres and partner organisations also facilitate some group and individual sessions.

Picture of Topic  'Today I am feeling' - managing emotions

Topic

Topic 'Today I am feeling' - managing emotions

Share how you are feeling and swap tips for managing stress with other members and the online team

• 186 conversations

New to this...

Started by Anonymous on 17 February 2015 at 11:01

I went from standing on the terrace at football on 3rd December last year, to being told on 5th December that I had a cancerous tumour on my right kidney.

I had the tumour, kidney and adrenal gland removed 6 weeks ago.

In between being told and it being removed I felt reasonably positive, sad that I had what I had but had mechanised the process so the operation would be the "cure".

Since the operation I have found myself more down, more anxious and less optimistic about the fuuture.

Physically I feel pretty much over the operation, but mentally if I'm not worrying then I feel numb.

I'm self employed so can't take on another client until I know I don't need any further hospital visits, which I find out on Thursday, so at the moment I am very bored and becoming quite withdrawn and I'm noticing the signs of depression.

I don't particularly want to take pills, so how does one cope with what has happened and how do you move on from it?

Hopefully a confirmed good prognosis on Thursday will help, but wondered if anyone has any advice or can share similar experiences?

Thanks

Comments (2)

latest | oldest

Displaying 2 comments

• Picture of silver56
    21 May 2015 at 21:17

Hiya how are you doing now?hope your OK I'm here if you would like to chat Suex

• Picture of SusieQ
    From SusieQ  
    17 February 2015 at 11:52
    Edited on: 17 February 2015 at 12:22

Hello,

Your conversation post will strike a chord with many reading this today. I'm aware that you're asking for the help and views of other people in your situation, so will try not to butt in. Simply to say, that one minute all seems well, and life seems good....then suddenly you've been side swiped into the world of hospitals, treatments, scans and uncertainty. It is no wonder you feel as you do...

The scenario you describe, now you're post treatment is well recognised, the psychological dip after treatment, when you're expected to resume 'normality' after being through a scary and life changing experience.

If you live near a Maggie's Centre enquire about the 'Where Now' course, which helps people pick up the pieces after going through an experience like yours...and thinking about how to get back to work, learn to live with uncertainty, and in your case, get you back on the terraces...

A good book to read, I'm told, is The Cancer Survivor's companion (2013) by Lucy Atkins and Dr. Frances Goodhart, and might help you tackle some of the issues you've mentioned in your conversation post...

Wishing you all the best for Thursday...now over to online members themselves to offer their expertise...

Warm wishes

Sue

Displaying 2 comments

Registered Office: Maggie's, The Stables, Western General Hospital, Crewe Road, Edinburgh EH4 2XU   Registered Charity Number: SC024414
The Maggie Keswick Jencks Cancer Caring Centres Trust is a company limited by guarantee   Company Number: SC162451