Maggie's

See what's happening in the Community

You are not logged in.   Log In

Meet the team

As well as sharing experiences with our friendly online community, registered members are able to contact our experienced online team. The Centre is staffed during office hours and the online team aim to reply within 24 hours.

Psychologists and experts from other Maggie's Centres and partner organisations also facilitate some group and individual sessions.

Picture of Topic  'Today I am feeling' - managing emotions

Topic

Topic 'Today I am feeling' - managing emotions

Share how you are feeling and swap tips for managing stress with other members and the online team

• 186 conversations

Just turned 50

Started by Anonymous on 12 October 2016 at 11:37

Turning 50 is a big enough deal already; doing it just days after 4th of 8 chemo (with mastectomy and lymph node removal still to come) is quite honestly just awful. I'm emotionally all over the place. It's probably just today (and yesterday) is a bad day but I'm struggling. I'm also terrifying as I've got some clotting problems so have to be on blood thinning injections til next week when I can get an ultrasound. Being advised of the possibility of losing an arm is not what you want one day after your birthday! (I'm glad I didn't go to the hospital Monday). So yeah, feeling pretty rubbish.

Comments (3)

latest | oldest

Displaying 3 comments

• From Anonymous
    12 October 2016 at 23:50

You are very welcome! I know how tough it is when you're having a 'bad' day, always nice to know you aren't alone and that someone understands how rough this 'journey' is. But you'll get through it :-) Hope you sleep well xx

• From Anonymous
    12 October 2016 at 16:18

Thank you BellasGirl, communities like this are very heartening. I've realised that although I have very particular reasons why this time feels rubbish (the particular problem with clotting, my turning 50), that actually day 5 after chemo is often when I'm at my worst (how did I forget, esp as I track this in a diary?) and it has been thus time too. Hopefully by the end of the week things will be better. I just had a really bad couple of days, and as Sue wisely advised to be by halfway through treatment it IS getting a bit wearing... so, yeah, trying to be more positive today. THANK YOU.

• From Anonymous
    12 October 2016 at 15:34

Hi LisaMary, firstly belated birthday wishes, not your best birthday ever....but hopefully having the Chemo and the following surgery, will ensure you have many more birthdays to Celebrate! I also find emotions are heightened when special dates arrive, birthdays, anniversarys, Christmas etc! I suppose it makes us look to the future, which can be a bit scary, which is normal...I guess. I recall spending my 39th Birthday at an Oncology appointment and my 40th was even more memorable.....I had the return of my periods after 1 year without, it was NOT pleasant and so on my 40th I was in boots buying Tena Lady Pads :-) seriously NOT how I expected to celebrate! But almost 2 years on I can look at it and laugh....it certainly made it a memorable birthday. On a plus you are half way through your Chemo, so you're at the top of the hill and heading homeward bound.....keep going. Don't be disheartened, we all have bad days. Hopefully tomorrow will be a better day. Sending you best wishes. Xxxx

Displaying 3 comments

Registered Office: Maggie's, The Stables, Western General Hospital, Crewe Road, Edinburgh EH4 2XU   Registered Charity Number: SC024414
The Maggie Keswick Jencks Cancer Caring Centres Trust is a company limited by guarantee   Company Number: SC162451