Maggie's

See what's happening in the Community

You are not logged in.   Log In

Meet the team

As well as sharing experiences with our friendly online community, registered members are able to contact our experienced online team. The Centre is staffed during office hours and the online team aim to reply within 24 hours.

Psychologists and experts from other Maggie's Centres and partner organisations also facilitate some group and individual sessions.

Picture of After cancer treatment

Topic

After cancer treatment

Finished treatment? Trying to find a new normal or perhaps feeling a bit lost and anxious - share experiences and practical tips with other members and the online team.

• 31 conversations

Mental health

Started by Anonymous on 07 November 2017 at 13:50

Hello I was wondering about getting some advice. I am in remission from stage 4 T-cell non hodgkins lymphoma cancer since October, but all i can think of, is when is the cancer going to come back.  Also why do i feel so down about surviving cancer.  I put on what i call my happy face for my family as my wife has enough to go through with my son having chrones and my daughter has asphergers.  Then i see articles in newspapers of young people who have died from cancer and i think why did I survive it is really getting me down is it wrong of me to feel this way

Comments (1)

Displaying 1 comments

• Picture of Robyn
    From Robyn  
    08 November 2017 at 08:32

Hello, it’s not wrong its normal…….. and I am sure many people reading your post will identify with the feelings you describe. You have been through a traumatic experience and it will take time and support for your brain to process all the emotions raised by your diagnosis and treatment.
    Many people find the period following treatment a challenging time – you will be managing all sorts of emotions alongside side effects from treatment whilst you try to settle into some sort of ‘normal’ - it’s hard when life seems anything but normal. It can also be a lonely time when you have less visits to the hospital and opportunity to talk about how things are especially when you have found it difficult to talk to those close to you about how you are really feeling.
    You are very welcome to message me privately to talk things through in more detail however you are also welcome to visit any of our Centres. You don’t need an appointment you can just drop in Mon-Fri (9-5) . There is a book the cancer survivors companion which I think you will find helpful – it is a very practical guide to managing emotions following treatment for cancer. There is also a blog written by my colleague Sue ( susieq) on survivor guilt that you will find helpful to read through
    Best wishes
    Robyn

Displaying 1 comments

Registered Office: Maggie's, The Stables, Western General Hospital, Crewe Road, Edinburgh EH4 2XU   Registered Charity Number: SC024414
The Maggie Keswick Jencks Cancer Caring Centres Trust is a company limited by guarantee   Company Number: SC162451