Maggie's

See what's happening in the Community

You are not logged in.   Log In

Meet the team

As well as sharing experiences with our friendly online community, registered members are able to contact our experienced online team. The Centre is staffed during office hours and the online team aim to reply within 24 hours.

Psychologists and experts from other Maggie's Centres and partner organisations also facilitate some group and individual sessions.

Picture of Could it be cancer?

Topic

Could it be cancer?

A space for those worried they may have cancer

• 4 conversations

Found another lump!

Started by Anonymous on 14 September 2017 at 00:28

I had a mammogram on the 13th June and an ultrasound with a biopsy on the 20th June which confirmed BC in the lower inner quadrant of my left breast. I had a lumpectomy on the 24th July. I have checked my breast this evening and I have found a small pea size lump under my areola of my left breast... under the blue dye that is still there. As I have recently had a mammogram and ultrasound, should I ignore this or contact my breastcare team? Thanks, Amanda

Comments (2)

latest | oldest

Displaying 2 comments

• From Anonymous
    15 September 2017 at 13:36

Hi Sue, apologies for not getting back to you. Thank you for your concern and advice. I contacted my nurse yesterday morning and she arranged for my consultant to see me yesterday afternoon. He agreed there was a definite lump, he arranged for an immediate ultrasound- the outcome is that is a bit of tissue - i think she called it necrosis? Relieved! I think this is reality now! i really appreciate your fabulous support. Thank you Sue, have a lovely weekend xxxx

• Picture of SusieQ
    From SusieQ  
    14 September 2017 at 09:48
    Edited on: 14 September 2017 at 10:50

Hi Amanda,

It sounds like it may have been a bit of a shock finding another lump, so soon after your recent diagnosis and surgery. You're right - it may be related to the blue dye injection. The injection itself can cause bruising, which may have formed a small haematoma (a small collection of old blood)..and it takes a while to dissolve.

If it's near the surgical 'scar' at all, sometimes there's a lump felt, which can be an internal suture ('stitch'), as they take some weeks/months to dissolve.

Alternatively, if the breast or area feels tender, warm, or looks red, there may be a chance it's infected, which would mean some antibiotics possibly.

It makes sense to contact your breastcare team, and mention it, as they'll be able to give you peace of mind. They may ask you come in to have it examined - just to be sure.

I hope that helps,

Warm wishes

Sue

Displaying 2 comments

Latest Conversations

Could it be cancer?

Registered Office: Maggie's, The Stables, Western General Hospital, Crewe Road, Edinburgh EH4 2XU   Registered Charity Number: SC024414
The Maggie Keswick Jencks Cancer Caring Centres Trust is a company limited by guarantee   Company Number: SC162451