Maggie's

See what's happening in the Community

You are not logged in.   Log In

Meet the team

As well as sharing experiences with our friendly online community, registered members are able to contact our experienced online team. The Centre is staffed during office hours and the online team aim to reply within 24 hours.

Psychologists and experts from other Maggie's Centres and partner organisations also facilitate some group and individual sessions.

Picture of Topic  'Today I am feeling' - managing emotions

Topic

Topic 'Today I am feeling' - managing emotions

Share how you are feeling and swap tips for managing stress with other members and the online team

• 186 conversations

Meeting Our Deep Inner Needs

Started by Anonymous on 21 March 2011 at 12:36
Edited on 21 March 2011 at 12:41

I believe there is a strong need within each of us for silence, for reflection, for inner seeking.

Perhaps some of us are too talkative, too intent on action, too intent on finding solutions, too intent on remedying things outwith our control. Is it any wonder then that we are full of inner tension and stress?  Maybe our lives should consist more of periods of silence, reflection,and listening.  We may then very well discover our true selves.

I would love to hear the views of others.

Comments (9)

latest | oldest

Displaying 9 comments

• From Anonymous
    18 May 2011 at 14:38

Jim I missed this post and thread, I was of in cyberspace being proactive in a way that would help me understand my disease.

One thing to remember is that some of us can find silence too noisey. Activities we cary out in silence can free our minds to enable reflection, contemplation and listening. Perhaps why fishing, gardening, painting and building suit me.

Perhaps we can have too much time for quiet contemplation with our diseases. Or not enough time left for action.

Just a thought from the other side of the coin.

Nick

• From Anonymous
    25 April 2011 at 14:16
    Edited on: 25 April 2011 at 22:20

" Silence is the space of the soul"

[Quote from Anne LeClaire, American non-fiction writer and novelist who, for the past seventeen years, has dedicated the first and third Monday of each month to complete personal silence.]

Such intense practice of silence will be beyond most, if not all, of us. However, even short periods of inner silence can lead to a place where personal growth and peace is possible.

Fond wishes to all

Jim

• From Anonymous
    11 April 2011 at 17:12
    Edited on: 21 May 2011 at 11:10

Hi Jim,

I cant imagine us ever being quiet if we ever meet up one day but I have learnt from your first post that I do infact like quiet time, sometimes quiet does not mean quiet. If I sit outside in my back garden I love to listen to the birds singing and chirping and wonder if they are talking to each other and what they are saying. I like also to listen to the waterfall in my pond and the fish jumping to catch the odd fly. Without quietness I would not hear these things.

I must admit though a clock ticking irritates me :)

We should all sit quietly one day and gather our thoughts. I often have lately and thought about someone close to me such as Lorraine and the next minute I receive a text from her. Does that mean we are transmitting our thoughts I wonder at times?

Lv Beverley x

• Picture of Robyn
    From Robyn  
    11 April 2011 at 13:59

Lovely quote Jim and I agree there can be a peace between friends with silence however sometimes we perhaps need to check that both uderstand the silence so one person is not uncomfortable as Beverley describes below

Another quote which I remember a music teacher saying

"Music is made not only from the notes but from the spaces in between"

• From Anonymous
    11 April 2011 at 13:06
    Edited on: 11 April 2011 at 13:12

Beverley

I occasionally play your post of 21 March below around in my head.  Perhaps the following might put things in perspective :-

"Silence makes the real conversations between friends.  Not the saying, but the never needing to say is what counts."

[Margaret Lee Runbeck - American Author]

Jim

• From Anonymous
    23 March 2011 at 05:09

their is@old adage/prayer that i read somewhere, it says:god,give me the serenity to accept the things i can not change,the courage to change the things i can@the wisdom to know the difference.their are some obviously things i wish i could change,but their are some i can ,just little things that will help in these early dark days. 

• From Anonymous
    21 March 2011 at 19:11
    Edited on: 21 March 2011 at 21:09

Beverley

That was a very touching and sensitive final sentence. Why though would you feel that through their silence towards you you might have hurt someone?  Are you not treating yourself a bit harshly by thinking that way?   I think that it is entirely possible to share an intimate silence as well as conversation with people with whom you have a real connection.  It is often remarked that true friends can be together in total silence and yet be in full communion with one another.  Is that something you have ever experienced or perhaps even thought about?Enjoy the genuine silences for what they can really signify - people connecting with one another in a deep and meaningful way.

Jim  

• From Anonymous
    21 March 2011 at 17:51

I think a lot of people switch on the tv now instead of having a good talk to each other.

People need to spend quality time together, meal times are a great way to do this, sitting around the dining room table and talking with each other about the days events.

I do find though that everyone needs some quiet time. I often go quiet when something is on my mind or if I am in a mood sometimes just with myself.

I dont like it when people go quiet on me though as then I feel that I have hurt them in some way ??

• Picture of lorraine
    21 March 2011 at 12:53

hi jim, you being  silent never ha ha, but somtimes to much talking is,nt the best remedy i like to have qiuet times and just chill and be alone with only my thoughts, somtimes jan and i pass each other and hold a hand out or have a cuddle you dont need words for that? lorraine x

Displaying 9 comments

Registered Office: Maggie's, The Stables, Western General Hospital, Crewe Road, Edinburgh EH4 2XU   Registered Charity Number: SC024414
The Maggie Keswick Jencks Cancer Caring Centres Trust is a company limited by guarantee   Company Number: SC162451