Maggie's

See what's happening in the Community

You are not logged in.   Log In

Meet the team

As well as sharing experiences with our friendly online community, registered members are able to contact our experienced online team. The Centre is staffed during office hours and the online team aim to reply within 24 hours.

Psychologists and experts from other Maggie's Centres and partner organisations also facilitate some group and individual sessions.

Picture of Topic  'Today I am feeling' - managing emotions

Topic

Topic 'Today I am feeling' - managing emotions

Share how you are feeling and swap tips for managing stress with other members and the online team

• 186 conversations

...really helpless

Started by Anonymous on 27 January 2015 at 16:15

Hi, I have had 7 chemos out of twelve already. ( early stage breast cancer) Mostly, I feel really good - even through chemo therapy. But now - for more than two weeks - I have a terrible cold which doesnt seem to get any better. The worst thing about is the unbearable throat ache. My throught feels like an open wound, very very dry and painful - making it almost impossible to swallow, drink or eat. Strangely, threre is no redness at all...it actually looks very normal. I have tried with almost everything, from throat pills to different sprays and teas....nothing seems to change anything.

Did anybody also suffer of severe throat ache during chemo and can somehow help me?

Comments (3)

latest | oldest

Displaying 3 comments

• Picture of SusieQ
    From SusieQ  
    29 January 2015 at 09:57

Hi Anne,

I'm relieved to hear your throat has improved...and thanks for the positive feedback, much appreciated...

Warm wishes

Sue

• From Anonymous
    28 January 2015 at 18:11

Dear Sue

thank you so much for your answer! In the link to the American Cancer Society webpage has helped me with my sore throat! As in....I have been eating 1 to 2 fresh oranges per day for at least the last two weeks. And thats when my throat was getting really bad." Be careful with citrus fruit while you are in chemotherapy" they write....so I know where it came from!

The cold seems a bit better too and the fever has gone down below 37.0 - so I can wait till Friday when I see my oncolocist and we can discuss if antibiotics are still necessary or if I will be just fine.

Most important to me at the moment is: I can swallow without pain!

Thanks again!   Anne

• Picture of SusieQ
    From SusieQ  
    27 January 2015 at 16:53
    Edited on: 28 January 2015 at 14:28

Hello,

Throat pain and discomfort can be a side effect of some chemotherapy drugs, due to a number of factors. It sounds very uncomfortable. The cold may be contributing to it too.

It's always worth checking that it is not an infection, either from oral candida (thrush), or a infection due to your blood counts dropping as part of the response to chemotherapy. I'm sure you're checking your temperature regularly, but if it's raised (above 37.5c.for example), or you feel very unwell with it, do alert your chemo team immediately, as you may need antibiotics. (see neutropenia from Cancer.Net website).

It might be a good idea to contact your chemo team and/or oncologist anyway, to mention your throat ache and swallowing problems, as they may be able to prescribe mouthwashes and analgesia to help ease the pain. You can also follow some of the advice given by the American Cancer Society, in their webpage article on mouth or throat pain or sores

If any of our online members have any suggestions which helped ease their chemo-induced sore throat, it would be interesting to hear them.

Meanwhile, I do hope your throat feels better soon,

Very best wishes

Sue

Displaying 3 comments

Registered Office: Maggie's, The Stables, Western General Hospital, Crewe Road, Edinburgh EH4 2XU   Registered Charity Number: SC024414
The Maggie Keswick Jencks Cancer Caring Centres Trust is a company limited by guarantee   Company Number: SC162451