Maggie's

See what's happening in the Community

You are not logged in.   Log In

Meet the team

As well as sharing experiences with our friendly online community, registered members are able to contact our experienced online team. The Centre is staffed during office hours and the online team aim to reply within 24 hours.

Psychologists and experts from other Maggie's Centres and partner organisations also facilitate some group and individual sessions.

Picture of Topic  'Today I am feeling' - managing emotions

Topic

Topic 'Today I am feeling' - managing emotions

Share how you are feeling and swap tips for managing stress with other members and the online team

• 186 conversations

So lucky yet I feel like this

Started by Anonymous on 28 April 2017 at 13:04

Not sure what to put as I am new to this. Had hysterectomy in June 2015 for womb cancer. It was all delt with very quickly. Feb had bleed went to gp early March had a consultant appointment explority operation then hysterectomy June. Cancer was early low grade a1 so no further treatment just check up. Felt like I had nothing much wrong with me because my friend and neighbor was diagnosed with lung cancer a few days after me and died in October last year. But over the past few weeks I can't stop crying at the least little thing and feel like I am going through the cancer again only worse. Which I can't make any sense of. Just feel so very down and not sleeping properly. As a family we have had quite a time. As I came out of hospital two weeks later my husband went in just to name one thing .terrible thing happen to some other member of the family. Everything has settled down now so I should be happy but keep feeling like this. How stupid I feel when I have been so lucky

Comments (1)

Displaying 1 comments

• Picture of SusieQ
    From SusieQ  
    28 April 2017 at 13:58
    Edited on: 28 April 2017 at 14:01

Hello,

It sounds as though you've been through alot, especially around the time of diagnosis, two years ago, alongside the other serious life events going on for you and your family.

Perhaps, with so much going on at the time, you didn't have time to grieve for the losses you were experiencing. Cancer can feel very scary, and sometimes the feelings of fear and anxiety are suppressed simply to get through what is happening.

For some people, it's only when treatment is finished that all the emotions they've been suppressing, start emerging. It may been, for a time, a period where the future had felt frightening.

I'm wondering if there are things going on now that are reminding you of that time, and it's triggering a feeling of being low. It might be worth having a talk with your GP about how you feel, as it's possible (and not uncommon) to develop mild depression.

A book that other online members have found helpful for explaining the emotions around having had cancer - and offers practical solutions - is The Cancer Survivor's Companion (2013), by Lucy Atkins and Dr Frances Goodhart.

You're also welcome to drop into one of our Maggie's Centres, and talk with others there, who will understand the feelings you're experiencing.

You can message Robyn or myself too - writing things down, and exploring the issues with someone, can feel a relief...

Warm wishes

Sue

Displaying 1 comments

Registered Office: Maggie's, The Stables, Western General Hospital, Crewe Road, Edinburgh EH4 2XU   Registered Charity Number: SC024414
The Maggie Keswick Jencks Cancer Caring Centres Trust is a company limited by guarantee   Company Number: SC162451