Maggie's

See what's happening in the Community

You are not logged in.   Log In

Meet the team

As well as sharing experiences with our friendly online community, registered members are able to contact our experienced online team. The Centre is staffed during office hours and the online team aim to reply within 24 hours.

Psychologists and experts from other Maggie's Centres and partner organisations also facilitate some group and individual sessions.

Picture of Topic  'Today I am feeling' - managing emotions

Topic

Topic 'Today I am feeling' - managing emotions

Share how you are feeling and swap tips for managing stress with other members and the online team

• 186 conversations

Feeling......anxious and scared

Started by Anonymous on 02 September 2018 at 19:40

Evening everyone,

Hope you are all well.

I was diagnosed with lynch syndrome in January this year following my bowel cancer diagnosis in June 2014.  My father died of stomach cancer when I was 8 weeks old which is why my oncologiy team wanted to do some tests for the condition which came back positive.

On a positive note, i am happy that i will never officially be discharged and will always be checked every 2 years for cancer.

However, I have an endoscopy and colonoscopy coming up in 10 days time and, although my CT scan in june showed no sign of any cancer, I am very nervous about my forthcoming oscopies and my head is running riot.  

My GP advisd me to take Kalms and has prescribed diazapen for the 2 days before the procedure to calm me down - just don't know how i am going to get through the next 10 days.

Has anyone else had any experience of having both procedures done so soon after a CT scan and if so did you get the all clear?

Thanks in advance.

Michael

Comments (2)

latest | oldest

Displaying 2 comments

• From Anonymous
    07 October 2018 at 17:14

Hi Michael,

I remember these times when goign through my cancer treatment so well. I was so irritable with everyone at home until I had had the CT scan etc done. I have had several colonoscopys done because after the treatment my bowel became very lazy. The actual procedure is a little uncomfy but ask if they can give you a little sedation whilst having it. I did and I just felt so spaced out and relaxed which made the procedure so much easier. It came back normal as well which they informed me after having it done. Remember this is giving your body a full mot that you need to make sure all is ok.

Best Wishes

Beverley

• Picture of SusieQ
    From SusieQ  
    03 September 2018 at 10:27
    Edited on: 03 September 2018 at 10:33

Hello Michael,

There's no doubt that anxiety peaks for many people when facing tests and procedures. Your mind is understandably working overtime - with 'what ifs', and worries about the future.

The encouraging sign is that the CT scan was cancer free. The colonoscopy and endoscopy sound part of the baseline tests to keep an eye on things for the future. This way they can check for any polyps, and your general gastro-intestinal health.

After having cancer though, it's natural to be apprehensive. You might find my blog, 'Tips for managing scanxiety', helpful? The other thing to consider, is joining the online support group 'Lynch Syndrome UK'. The members will understand your worries and may be able to offer support and reassurance.

Here at Maggie's online centre, things are a little quieter now, as we're working on launching a new Maggie's website in the next few months. However, if any of our current members are reading this, I hope they'll also be able to offer encouragement.

In the meantime, you're very welcome to message Robyn or myself to talk anything through...

Warm wishes

Sue

Displaying 2 comments

Registered Office: Maggie's, The Stables, Western General Hospital, Crewe Road, Edinburgh EH4 2XU   Registered Charity Number: SC024414
The Maggie Keswick Jencks Cancer Caring Centres Trust is a company limited by guarantee   Company Number: SC162451