Maggie's

See what's happening in the Community

You are not logged in.   Log In

Meet the team

As well as sharing experiences with our friendly online community, registered members are able to contact our experienced online team. The Centre is staffed during office hours and the online team aim to reply within 24 hours.

Psychologists and experts from other Maggie's Centres and partner organisations also facilitate some group and individual sessions.

Picture of Friends and family

Topic

Friends and family

For anyone supporting someone else with cancer

• 151 conversations

Worried

Started by Anonymous on 19 November 2017 at 17:03

My wife Jenny is recovering from bowel resection in August followed by the removal of seven liver “lesions” in October. Post liver surgery was very difficult for Jenny as she had a partial lung collapse & atrial fibrillation. She also suffered acute confusion for four days which was very traumatic. She has been home for almost two weeks and is VERY tired all of the time and has now lost her appetite. On top of that she is becoming quite depressed which is not helped by another CT scan due on Tuesday to check if there has been any movement in the “nodules” seen on her lungs. Aside of the tiredness and lack of appetite Jenny is not interested in anything and finds most pastimes, she previously enjoyed, boring. Any advice would be appreciated Matt

Comments (3)

latest | oldest

Displaying 3 comments

• Picture of SusieQ
    From SusieQ  
    21 November 2017 at 09:30
    Edited on: 21 November 2017 at 16:09

H Matt,

I've messaged Caroline so she will get in touch with you soon. It's an interesting fact about cancer and PTSD. Post traumatic stress disorder can affect 20 to 25% of people with cancer, often triggered by things like an intensive hospital stay, shock at diagnosis, etc. There's a useful article here from Cancer.Net -'Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder and cancer' which you might find helpful.

I hope you do get a chance to pop into your local Maggie's next week - sounds like a plan.

Warm wishes

Sue

• From Anonymous
    21 November 2017 at 08:42

Many thanks Sue

I chat with Caroline would, I'm sure, be a help.  Jenny is not the most patient person in the world which is also leading to frustration on her part.  

We are keen to get this week out of the way with, hopefully, good scan results.  Thanks again

Coincidentaly I have just read the post referance ptsd, I had thought this may be an issue yesterday mornng before I saw that post.  We are seeing her GP on Saturday so I will mention it.

We are in Cambridge on 29th to see Jenny's surgeon; that may be an opportune time to come and see you

Again many thnaks

Matt

• Picture of SusieQ
    From SusieQ  
    20 November 2017 at 10:59

Hello Matt,

It sounds like it is still early days since Jenny's discharge from hospital following a difficult time emotionally and healthwise in October. She's likely to be physically exhausted for some time, and that impacts on concentration levels, as well as the desire to be active.

You mention her depression, which is totally understandable with everything that has been going on for her...and she's likely to be feeling 'scanxiety', awaiting the outcome of her next scan tomorrow. (as I imagine, you are too?).

It sounds as though it's going to take several weeks /months, before her energy levels return, even allowing for the cancer itself to be stable at present.

Patience is the key, and perhaps setting small achievable goals that help Jenny feel she's managed something each day - even if it's gentle exercise, a short walk, or even walking round the house and down the garden.

Her appetite may be reduced as her anxiety and depression get a liitle more intense with the scan coming up. It might be worth having a word with her GP, to see if he can suggest anything. I do think she's going to take awhile to recover from her recent hospital stay.

I'll message you, to talk through this some more...I'm wondering if my colleague, CarolineH, (online nutritional advisor) may have some good ideas to stimulate Jenny's appetite too, so will ask her to get in touch,

Warm wishes

Sue

Displaying 3 comments

Registered Office: Maggie's, The Stables, Western General Hospital, Crewe Road, Edinburgh EH4 2XU   Registered Charity Number: SC024414
The Maggie Keswick Jencks Cancer Caring Centres Trust is a company limited by guarantee   Company Number: SC162451