Maggie's

See what's happening in the Community

You are not logged in.   Log In

Meet the team

As well as sharing experiences with our friendly online community, registered members are able to contact our experienced online team. The Centre is staffed during office hours and the online team aim to reply within 24 hours.

Psychologists and experts from other Maggie's Centres and partner organisations also facilitate some group and individual sessions.

Picture of Topic After cancer treatment

Topic

Topic After cancer treatment

Finished treatment? Trying to find a new normal or perhaps feeling a bit lost and anxious - share experiences and practical tips with other members and the online team.

• 42 conversations

After treatment

Started by Anonymous on 09 January 2018 at 21:11

Hi there, I finished Brachytherapy in September 2017 after having a hysterectomy for cervical cancer found via smear test and diagnosed in April 2017. I have just found this community after watching SAS who’d dares wins today from the weekend and coming face to face with a man on there who mirrored exactly how I am feeling. I coped well with treatment and even the op I did have issues with my wound and ended up having to reheat 3/4 of my wound via vac dressings, I then received Bracytherapy, to be honest I have felt unwell since, I am also experiencing pain in my tummy to the left of my wound site, have had a CT and nothing sinister so they believe it’s scar tissue and/or after effects of treatment and op. I am struggling with the fear of it returning, I’m struggling with feeling unwell all of the time, I’m struggling with the emotional side of this happening to me and I’m struggling with the fatigue. I may have been naive but I believed that I would be all healed and better by now as surgery was in July 2017. If anything I feel worse. Wondering if anyone feels the same or has the same struggles? Sorry for my first post being a moany one! Thanks for reading x leanne xx

Comments (2)

latest | oldest

Displaying 2 comments

• From Anonymous
    17 January 2018 at 14:17

Hi,

I can completely understand how you are feeling. I had a hysterectomy 23 years ago for fibroids after which I had my first bout of depression. I did get through it and out the other side but now I am going through the same with breast cancer but this time I have extreme fatigue/depression. I finished treatment in Jan '17 and returned to work in June '17 - turned out to be too soon and have been signed off since Dec '17. My thoughts for you are these: be kind to yourself; you have rights if you work - use them; don't feel guilty; get all the support on offer; go for walks in the sunshine and eat lots of chocolate! I am booked onto a 'moving on' course in Feb, I wish I had gone sooner because I expected to be fine once I had the 'all clear' but seem to have classic withdrawal symptoms which friends and colleagues don't understand. Have you spoken to your GP about how you feel emotionally? All the best, x Cuckoo

• Picture of Robyn
    From Robyn  
    10 January 2018 at 09:39

Hello, i can imagine it was a relief to find someone else with similar feelings and I am glad you have contacted Maggie's  I am sure others will identify with your situation and get in touch.

It sounds as if you are feeling overwhelmed with the physical and also emotional effects of your treatment

I have sent you a private message to introduce myself so we can talk things through in more detail.

Best wishes

Robyn 

Displaying 2 comments

Registered Office: Maggie's, The Stables, Western General Hospital, Crewe Road, Edinburgh EH4 2XU   Registered Charity Number: SC024414
The Maggie Keswick Jencks Cancer Caring Centres Trust is a company limited by guarantee   Company Number: SC162451