Maggie's

See what's happening in the Community

You are not logged in.   Log In

Meet the team

As well as sharing experiences with our friendly online community, registered members are able to contact our experienced online team. The Centre is staffed during office hours and the online team aim to reply within 24 hours.

Psychologists and experts from other Maggie's Centres and partner organisations also facilitate some group and individual sessions.

Picture of Topic Managing treatment and side effects

Topic

Topic Managing treatment and side effects

Share experiences, and ask questions about treatments and managing side effects.

• 16 conversations

Local anaesetics

Started by Anonymous on 09 February 2018 at 13:14
Edited on 09 February 2018 at 17:46

Still trying to find any excuse to wriggle out of having injections...would anyone know if a local anaestic cream could be an alternative to injections for fitting the head frame for gamma ray...yes i am aware a cannula is  needed for the contrast..am working on that one!

Chloe

Comments (3)

latest | oldest

Displaying 3 comments

• Picture of Robyn
    From Robyn  
    11 February 2018 at 21:09

Hello  - it is certainly worth asking  the team before the day of the proceedure to see if it is possible and if so to make sure they have some  aneasthetic cream available.  They may be able to use the cream initially and then use the injection  once your skin is numb which may make things easier for you. 

Best wishes

Robyn 

• From Anonymous
    09 February 2018 at 17:42

Hi Robyn 

Still waiting for date...due end of Feb (6 weeks after last surgery) I have tried lots of ways over 40 years..entanox was good,but in the kids hospital,wasnt available when i asked this time.I due for next hypnotherapy session on Tuesday, but if local anaesetic cream could be an option??

Chloe

• Picture of SusieQ
    From SusieQ  
    09 February 2018 at 14:51

Hello, it sounds as if you  have been trying hard to think of possible solutions. Have you had a chance to talk directly with the team that will be giving the treatment yet ?   

They will be used to treating people with many different phobias including needle phobia and are best placed to be able to talk about how they can manage  the fitting  to help you manage  your needle phobia -  For example some find it easier if they cant see the needle  others need to be able to say exactly when the injection should happen to help them to feel more incontrol.  Some may find it helps to have someone talking to  to distract them or to have a particular piece of  music playing - its a very individual thing as to what helps most and I am sure the team will be keen to help you as much as possible so you can heve the treatment.

Having the opportunity to meet one of the team before hand may also help in itself so you dont feel surrounded by strangers on the day.

Best wishes

Robyn 

Displaying 3 comments

Registered Office: Maggie's, The Stables, Western General Hospital, Crewe Road, Edinburgh EH4 2XU   Registered Charity Number: SC024414
The Maggie Keswick Jencks Cancer Caring Centres Trust is a company limited by guarantee   Company Number: SC162451