Maggie's

See what's happening in the Community

You are not logged in.   Log In

Meet the team

As well as sharing experiences with our friendly online community, registered members are able to contact our experienced online team. The Centre is staffed during office hours and the online team aim to reply within 24 hours.

Psychologists and experts from other Maggie's Centres and partner organisations also facilitate some group and individual sessions.

Picture of Topic  'Today I am feeling' - managing emotions

Topic

Topic 'Today I am feeling' - managing emotions

Share how you are feeling and swap tips for managing stress with other members and the online team

• 186 conversations

Scared and worried

Started by Anonymous on 30 August 2012 at 21:00

I started to get really bad headaches about February time this year. They were really bad and constant. I got them everyday without fail. If I was busy I didn't really notice them but as soon as I was sat down that's when I would notice them. I would get dizzy spells and feel sick. I've never actually fainted or been sick with my headaches. I went to see the doctors and they did blood tests which came back fine apart from I had to many white blood cells but they didn't seem to bothered by this. I've had my eyes checked and that came back all clear. Recently my doctor but me on Pizotifen tablets for my headaches and the time I was taken them seemed to help. Whereas paracetamol and ibruphren do not help. But now I'm not I'm getting really bad headaches daily. I'm convinced something is more serious than just a migraine because it's been going on so long and it's really worrying me and making me feel very anxious. Surely if it wasn't serious it would of gone by now yes?... My symptoms are really bad headaches which tend to be round the front, around my eyes and temple... Sometimes I get pains at the sides of the back of my head that feel like trapped nerves. It hurts my ears especially my left ear which hurts to touch the inside of. My headaches make me feel really nauseous and dizzy. Sometimes my left hand goes numb. A few times I've got my words muddled up and said them the wrong way but apart from that I've had no problem with my speech. My doctor took me off my pill 3 months ago thinking that would be the cause. Since then I've had 2 periods which have been irregular. Don't no whether this has any reference or not. This is starting to really scare me and any help or advice to what people may think it is would be very much appreciated.

Comments (4)

latest | oldest

Displaying 4 comments

• From Anonymous
    31 August 2012 at 10:12

Hi Natalie. You seem to be caught up in the grip of fear and have maybe become a little phobic about your health. I can't give you medical advice but it seems that your GP has given you good news. The blood tests he undertook and presumably physical examinations too have suggested no serious cause for concern. Blood tests reveal so much about what is going on in our bodies Natalie and both the haemotologist receiving them and your GP will have studied the outcome. My understanding is that whilst not conclusive, yes there are markers and indicators of cancer that prompt doctors to investigate further. It's fantastic that your doctor didn't find any in your blood. Also, your optician examined you and found no signs of optic pressure or worrying signs, all of which are reassuring. But I suspect nothing is going to reassure you at the moment and this is something you may need to talk to your GP about further. Explain your distress. There are hundreds of reasons for serious headaches Natalie and brain tumours are the least common. Reading the Internet can be informative but also terrifyingly misleading. Reading the symptoms of brain tumours, most of us could convince ourselves we have one! I promise you. If you continue to be concerned, ask for your headaches to be investigated further. Request to see a neurologist (would cost you about £120 privately if you have to). Don't focus on the worst, focus on finding the cause of your migraines which may include stress, menstrual problems, neck conditions like compressed nerves etc etc. Sites like this will frighten you further Natalie because you're looking for answers and we all have cancer on here or have loved ones. That's not good for you to read because it will spook you. Find someone to talk to about this, confide in your doctor and good luck for sorting out your headaches. Thanks for your best wishes too. Love Julie x

• From Anonymous
    31 August 2012 at 00:20

And I'm really sorry to hear about you :( I hope you are ok x

• From Anonymous
    31 August 2012 at 00:18

I haven't said how I feel to my doctor. They haven't suggested a MRI scan or anything. They just said that they were confident that it wasn't anything sinister. I'm scared now though that im going to die and if anything is found they won't be able to get rid of it for it being so long since it's been going on, I don't reall know what I'm looking for in a brain tumour and the symptoms. I look it up online and I seem to have those symptoms. I was thinking today that last year for a week I had really bad headaches but then they went and now I've been getting them again. This is scaring me more because surely if it was anything serious then it'll be worse now? And well and truly in operable? I already have paint attacks about dying - I find the concept really scary. Would blood tests show up anything abnormal that could indicate cancer etc? I also had my eyes tested... Would they have found abnormalities if I had a brain tumour? Just a little bit of extra info, I'm only 19 years old

• From Anonymous
    30 August 2012 at 23:55

Hi Natalie, It's obvious that you are very worried and have convinced yourself there must be something more sinister to your headaches. But please try to keep calm because the stress and anxiety is probably exacerbating your headaches. I wouldn't dream of trying to guess the reasons for your symptoms but I wonder if your doctor has suggested an MRI scan? I suffered with migraine in my 20's and 30's and they were so painful and debilitating with a whole host of physical problems. It's so easy to imagine the worst even if the cause is innocent. And it was innocent for me despite suffering terribly all thos years ago. Regrettably I now have leukaemia which is why I'm on here. Your doctor has sent you for blood tests and obviously ruled out many conditions. Have you shared the extent of your concern with your GP? Wishing you well but please don't immediately jump to conclusions about the reasons for your headaches (which is probably why you came onto this site). Wishing you well and believe me, stress will cause your vessels to pulse and increase your headaches. Just sending a message of support because you seemed so worried. Take care and stay as calm and focussed as you can to pursue it further with your GP. Julie x

Displaying 4 comments

Registered Office: Maggie's, The Stables, Western General Hospital, Crewe Road, Edinburgh EH4 2XU   Registered Charity Number: SC024414
The Maggie Keswick Jencks Cancer Caring Centres Trust is a company limited by guarantee   Company Number: SC162451