Maggie's

See what's happening in the Community

You are not logged in.   Log In

Meet the team

As well as sharing experiences with our friendly online community, registered members are able to contact our experienced online team. The Centre is staffed during office hours and the online team aim to reply within 24 hours.

Psychologists and experts from other Maggie's Centres and partner organisations also facilitate some group and individual sessions.

Picture of Topic  'Today I am feeling' - managing emotions

Topic

Topic 'Today I am feeling' - managing emotions

Share how you are feeling and swap tips for managing stress with other members and the online team

• 186 conversations

FATIGUE

Started by Anonymous on 26 April 2011 at 06:19

Hi All,

I wonder if anyone can share with me if they have had long bouts of fatigue a good way after chemotherapy and radio therapy has finished.

What's the best way to tackle it? I would be glad for anyone's advice.

Thanks Beverley

Comments (4)

latest | oldest

Displaying 4 comments

• From Anonymous
    26 November 2011 at 11:35

Hi Beverley,

My surgeon told me to expect a year and a half of recovery starting from first chemo cycle until the last radiotherapy treatment.

My oncologist did her research on fatigue and the results are the more exercise tried, the better. I have finished one course of chemo and followed her advice despite the fatigue. a month after the last treatment, the energy has come back and I'm ready for the second course of chemo.

However, the kind of chemo and radiotherapy you are receiving makes a difference I believe. The key is not to lose heart but know that perseverence produces rewards.

I suffered from Chronic Fatigue Syndrome 15 years ago but it hasn't returned after chemo due to counselling and better psychological management.

• From Anonymous
    12 July 2011 at 11:26

HI Beverly,

Yes, it takes a long time to recover-(18 months on) many people find this. Definitely read the MacMillan book-

long story short- pace yourself, have naps if you need them, tell everyone that needs to know that you will be like this for a long time as it takes ages to recover, and don't beat up on yourself if you can't do something you want to or have scheduled.

And yes, it does improve.

• From Anonymous
    27 April 2011 at 19:13

Thank you so much Peter for contacting me and its good to know I am not alone as I was beginning to think I was. it's very difficult as I was very active before my illness and am finding it very hard to cope with.

Much appreciated.

Beverley x

• Picture of Peterfife
    27 April 2011 at 12:58

Hey Beverley, I hope that perhaps I can be of some support to you. I had Cancer of the Bowel Seven Years ago and like you had Chemo and Radio Therapy, it wasnt easy... But good news life goes on. Yes Fatigue well I have just been diagnosed with Chronic Fatigue Syndrome amd there are questions being asked as to whether this is a result of my treatment after 7 years.I found a booklet very handy from McMillan Cancer Care "Coping with Fatigue". It is not heavy very informative and has loads of suggestions. Take life each day plan your day, and dont be afraid to say no. There is a fatigue Diary which I have found very useful. Please do not hesitate in contacting me if I can be of help to you. Peter x

Displaying 4 comments

Registered Office: Maggie's, The Stables, Western General Hospital, Crewe Road, Edinburgh EH4 2XU   Registered Charity Number: SC024414
The Maggie Keswick Jencks Cancer Caring Centres Trust is a company limited by guarantee   Company Number: SC162451