Maggie's

See what's happening in the Community

You are not logged in.   Log In

Meet the team

As well as sharing experiences with our friendly online community, registered members are able to contact our experienced online team. The Centre is staffed during office hours and the online team aim to reply within 24 hours.

Psychologists and experts from other Maggie's Centres and partner organisations also facilitate some group and individual sessions.

Picture of Topic After cancer treatment

Topic

Topic After cancer treatment

Finished treatment? Trying to find a new normal or perhaps feeling a bit lost and anxious - share experiences and practical tips with other members and the online team.

• 42 conversations

bra fillers

Started by Anonymous on 16 October 2015 at 16:39

I am new to this site so hello all :) I was discharged about 18 months ago and will be 10 years post dignosis in January 2016.  I had reconstruction in 2011 and have had bra fillers (like silicon fillets) for both my recon side and natural to even them out - so to speak - I am not sure of the procedure to get the fillers replaced, one has split.  Tried calling the breast care centre that looked after me before and can't seem to get a straight answer.  They are not sure if I need to go through my GP. and are not rushing to call me back.  Any advice please....

Comments (4)

latest | oldest

Displaying 4 comments

• Picture of MammaMia
    08 May 2016 at 08:57

Hi. I have just found out about a charity called 'Knitted Knockers'! They were founded in the USA after a lady, similar to yourself, mentioned her problem to a friend who promptly knitted her a prosthesis. The rest is history and there are now Knitted Knocker groups in several countries, including the UK. You could receive a free prosthesis/ knocker if you contact them (www.knittedknockersuk.com).

If you are a knitter, you could knit your own knockers - now there's a thought! Perhaps you know someone who could make one for you if you don't knit. I have applied to become a knocker knitter (!!) as I think this scheme sounds wonderful. I think a knocker knitting group would be a very welcome addition to Maggie's centres, so may start to make enquiries.

Good luck in your quest for a replacement knocker (I think this sounds better than prosthesis, dont you?)

Maria 

• Picture of SusieQ
    From SusieQ  
    16 October 2015 at 17:55

Hello Scarlet, You may find your local breast care team have come up with an improved system. I would think your GP might be happy with a telephone conversation re sorting out the referral ? You may also find that the prosthetic department simply order your replacement, rather than you have to go for a fitting. However, after 5 years you may find there is an improved product available, so it is often worth going to be re- assessed etc. It would be great to hear how you get on... Warm wishes Sue

• From Anonymous
    16 October 2015 at 17:23

Thanks Sue,

Yes I had a feeling it may be the GP route.  I do find it a bit of a pain though as I am only wanting a replacement and know the size etc.  It just seems a bit of a waste of time and resources for the system to work in such a way.  Surely they could just keep the info on file - or bring up the details when needed.  Going through the GP means an appointment to make an appointmtent...crazy.  Oh well rant over lol, sorry. 

Will wait to see if I hear back from the BC centre on Monday and go from there, would you like me to let you know for future reference?

All the best,

Scarlet.

• Picture of SusieQ
    From SusieQ  
    16 October 2015 at 17:12
    Edited on: 16 October 2015 at 17:13

Hello,

Welcome to Maggie's Online Centre...

It's a nuisance trying to chase up new replacement prostheses (and partial ones, or 'fillers') - as the process can seem a little vague. There's a good section on this on Breast Care UK's website 'Getting your prosthesis' which explains more about the process.

You mention you're no longer having follow ups at the hospital now.  In this case, you may need to ask your GP to make a referral to the breast care consultant's team or the hospital prosthetic department. (They should then arrange for you to have an appointment for a new fitting).

I hope this information helps,

Best wishes

Sue

Displaying 4 comments

Registered Office: Maggie's, The Stables, Western General Hospital, Crewe Road, Edinburgh EH4 2XU   Registered Charity Number: SC024414
The Maggie Keswick Jencks Cancer Caring Centres Trust is a company limited by guarantee   Company Number: SC162451