Maggie's

See what's happening in the Community

You are not logged in.   Log In

Meet the team

As well as sharing experiences with our friendly online community, registered members are able to contact our experienced online team. The Centre is staffed during office hours and the online team aim to reply within 24 hours.

Psychologists and experts from other Maggie's Centres and partner organisations also facilitate some group and individual sessions.

Picture of After cancer treatment

Topic

After cancer treatment

Finished treatment? Trying to find a new normal or perhaps feeling a bit lost and anxious - share experiences and practical tips with other members and the online team.

• 42 conversations

Feeling emotional and anxious

Started by Anonymous on 22 January 2018 at 18:11

Hello, I am struggling to cope with the way that I am feeling at the moment and I'm hoping that I'm not alone in this, particularly so long after treatment, I was diagnosed with cervical cancer in June 2016, luckily very early stages and I underwent two biopsies to remove the cancer, receiving the all clear in August 2016, the first operation was unfortunately botched up and extremely painful and I'm afraid it left me traumatised, I coped well throughout as my end goal was to be rid off the cancer and I did my best to spread awareness of the importance of smear tests through my social media, it felt like my way of making some sense of what had happened and taking some power back, but I've been left with this overwhelming guilt and shame that Its my fault I got cervical cancer, last year at my check up I was told I have virtually no cervix left so having children will be difficult, I think I have tried to push all of this fear down in my body and I haven't processed it all properly at the time, i had a reiki session recently and it opened the floodgates, I was left in no doubt that I have a lot of stuff I haven't dealt with that's trapped inside of me, I was never offered any type of counselling and I wish I had requested this as now I think it might have helped me in the long term, is it too late for me to speak to someone about the way that I am feeling now?

Comments (1)

Displaying 1 comments

• Picture of Robyn
    From Robyn  
    22 January 2018 at 21:39
    Edited on: 23 January 2018 at 08:17

Hello  I have sent you a personal message to introduce myself so we can talk things over in more detail however, I wanted to reassure you and anyone else reading this that many people experience a release of emotions  similar to the one you describe after treatment for cancer.

This can happen  weeks months or even years after treatment.  It isnt too late to speak to someone about how you are feeling  - you are welcome to drop into any of our Centres  or to message Sue ( susieq) or me online and we can help you find the support you need

Best wishes

Robyn 

Displaying 1 comments

Registered Office: Maggie's, The Stables, Western General Hospital, Crewe Road, Edinburgh EH4 2XU   Registered Charity Number: SC024414
The Maggie Keswick Jencks Cancer Caring Centres Trust is a company limited by guarantee   Company Number: SC162451