Maggie's

See what's happening in the Community

You are not logged in.   Log In

Meet the team

As well as sharing experiences with our friendly online community, registered members are able to contact our experienced online team. The Centre is staffed during office hours and the online team aim to reply within 24 hours.

Psychologists and experts from other Maggie's Centres and partner organisations also facilitate some group and individual sessions.

Picture of Topic  'Today I am feeling' - managing emotions

Topic

Topic 'Today I am feeling' - managing emotions

Share how you are feeling and swap tips for managing stress with other members and the online team

• 186 conversations

Worried

Started by Anonymous on 26 September 2009 at 14:06
Edited on 26 September 2009 at 14:07

Hi, 

This is kind of a long shot, but here goes... 

My dad was diagnosed almost a year ago with a single tumor in his left kidney. This kidney had been shrunken and mildly deformed from birth, and my dad has suffered high blood pressure his whole life. It turned out to be mainly due to the artery to that kidney being narrow. 

The planned treatment was to fit a stent to correct the narrow artery, and then treat the tumor with Radio Frequency Ablation. 

My dad delayed the stent, since he'd read bad things about its long-term effects. We eventually persuaded him and he had it fitted. He now says he's never felt better, and his blood pressure is normal for the first time in his life. 

When they went in to do the RFA, they found a second tumor in the same kidney, and concluded that RFA would not be effective. His doctors have recommended a radical nephrectomy (complete removal of that kidney), and put him on the waiting list of 6-8 weeks. 

However, I just discovered that two weeks ago he wrote to them and told them he doesn't want to proceed with the surgery. He has been reading up on alkaline diet and other lifestyle changes, and seems to believe that this is the answer to his cancer. He says that he wants to 'monitor' the tumors for six months and see if they grow. If the diet change is ineffective, he will then reconsider the surgery. 

Having recently lost my mother-in-law to cancer, I feel that he's letting his best chance slip away, all the while increasing the danger of the cancer metastising to another site. He has stated that if he could speak to someone of roughly his age who has had a radical nephrectomy more than 6 months ago, he would be interested in talking to them and getting their input. 

So if anyone reading this is over, say, 40, and has had a radical nephrectomy to treat kidney cancer, and would spare a few minutes to talk to my dad (on the phone or in person, if located in Scotland), please get in touch via PM - it would be very, very much appreciated. 

I'm out of my mind with worry at the moment, and i'm trying everything I can to persuade him he has to act NOW, not in 6 months time when it may be too late. 

Thank you for reading. 

- Rory

Comments (1)

Displaying 1 comments

• Picture of KD
    From KD
    24 March 2010 at 11:16

Hi Mungler,

How's your dad doing? I hope he was able to speak with someone.

And how are you?

KD

Displaying 1 comments

Registered Office: Maggie's, The Stables, Western General Hospital, Crewe Road, Edinburgh EH4 2XU   Registered Charity Number: SC024414
The Maggie Keswick Jencks Cancer Caring Centres Trust is a company limited by guarantee   Company Number: SC162451