Maggie's

See what's happening in the Community

You are not logged in.   Log In

Meet the team

As well as sharing experiences with our friendly online community, registered members are able to contact our experienced online team. The Centre is staffed during office hours and the online team aim to reply within 24 hours.

Psychologists and experts from other Maggie's Centres and partner organisations also facilitate some group and individual sessions.

Picture of Topic  'Today I am feeling' - managing emotions

Topic

Topic 'Today I am feeling' - managing emotions

Share how you are feeling and swap tips for managing stress with other members and the online team

• 186 conversations

My world has been blown apart

Started by Anonymous on 16 November 2017 at 07:48

I was diagnosed with throats cancer yesterday and my world feels like it has fallen apart. Im 51 with 2 children 29 and 21. I am worn out from crying for 24 hours and full of feeling sorry for myself. The worst part of now waiting 2 weeks for CT scan and ultrasound them another week before they discuss my case then a treatment plan worked out so it could be 5 weeks before I even start treatment and I feel I have this growing all the time inside me. I'm a total mess and not dealing with it at all. I have asked my husband to go to work today to let me have some time to myself and we have flights booked for Saturday for a week away that we had booked ages ago. Part of me is saying go and have a break as the alternative is sitting here alone with frightening thoughts and as it's in a villa and the two of us I can cry as much as I like and my kids won't see it. Thanks for letting me get that off my chest x

Comments (1)

Displaying 1 comments

• Picture of Robyn
    From Robyn  
    16 November 2017 at 10:17

Hello Julie , your diagnosis will, I imagine, have come as a huge shock and it is understandble that you are overwhelmed with  whirling thoughts and emotions. 

The trip away may help  give you some space and some time with your husband to talk things through. The period before treatment is often  hard to manage  and many people feel more able to manage once the tests are over - when you know more about what you are dealing with and there is a plan of action. 

You are wlecome to message Sue ( susieq) or me anytime if you would like to talk things over. In the meantime reassure yourself that the reaction you are having is both a normal and understandable reaction to  a difficult situation.

Best wishes

Robyn

Displaying 1 comments

Registered Office: Maggie's, The Stables, Western General Hospital, Crewe Road, Edinburgh EH4 2XU   Registered Charity Number: SC024414
The Maggie Keswick Jencks Cancer Caring Centres Trust is a company limited by guarantee   Company Number: SC162451