Maggie's

See what's happening in the Community

You are not logged in.   Log In

Meet the team

As well as sharing experiences with our friendly online community, registered members are able to contact our experienced online team. The Centre is staffed during office hours and the online team aim to reply within 24 hours.

Psychologists and experts from other Maggie's Centres and partner organisations also facilitate some group and individual sessions.

Picture of Benefits advice

Topic

Benefits advice

Read weekly blogs from benefits advisor Tom. Post questions, share experiences around financial support in the conversations, message Tom privately or book an online ‘live chat’ session.

• 129 conversations

Of New Years and April Changes (2)

Started by Tombenefits   on 28 February 2017 at 22:58
Edited on 28 February 2017 at 23:11

Hello,

In a delayed second part of my mini series on New Years, and Mood and Benefits changes, I move on to look at the April changes ahead.

In Part 1...

...in the blog available here, I looked at the:

- different benefits new years,

- the impact of the new Benefits Year on one of our key benefits,  Contributory ESA-

- a welcome improvement in rhetoric and language around benefit issues including a promise to announce no new benefit cuts

- and some small but welcome improvements that add a little substance

And now in Part 2...

- available here - I look at some of the cuts and changes that had long ago been announced, but are only due to be implemented this April:

- the rolling cut around April uprating

- cuts to ESA / UC limited capability

- the Two Child policy

- changes for earnings under Universal Credit

- and a new system of Bereavement Support

No new announcements has not turned out to be as quiet a time for this blogger as you might have thought :-).

And so...

Please, do feel free to post any general comments or queries about the April changes, below and join this Conversation.

But if you have any concerns around these changes or any other benefit issues please just message me for a private and more specific chat.

And please do not go thinking that these real changes mean that the system of support is disappearing. It is still mostly there and we may yet find some extra support for you :-)

The biggest cut of all remains the amounts each year that simply go unclaimed each year, so please never assume you can't get help; well not without a signed note from me first :-)

Best wishes,

Tom

Online Centre Benefits Advisor

Picture of Tombenefits

Registered Office: Maggie's, The Stables, Western General Hospital, Crewe Road, Edinburgh EH4 2XU   Registered Charity Number: SC024414
    The Maggie Keswick Jencks Cancer Caring Centres Trust is a company limited by guarantee   Company Number: SC162451