Maggie's

See what's happening in the Community

You are not logged in.   Log In

Meet the team

As well as sharing experiences with our friendly online community, registered members are able to contact our experienced online team. The Centre is staffed during office hours and the online team aim to reply within 24 hours.

Psychologists and experts from other Maggie's Centres and partner organisations also facilitate some group and individual sessions.

Picture of Topic  'Today I am feeling' - managing emotions

Topic

Topic 'Today I am feeling' - managing emotions

Share how you are feeling and swap tips for managing stress with other members and the online team

• 186 conversations

post treatment & worried every day

Started by Anonymous on 03 April 2013 at 14:37

Hi

I'm 6 months post treatment for breast and ovarian cancer.  I was elated after the treatment finished to have it over with but now I just feel worried about my cancer coming back. I know logically that I have a chance that it won't but my feelings don't match up with that - I feel afraid and down and unable to move on or forward with my life. I get tearful a lot and feel angry and bitter about all that has happened and the fear I have to live with every day. I just wondered if anyone else felt like that, or feels like that still so I know if its quite common or 'normal', and any tips for getting through it and facing life with the check ups, and fear that the cancer may return. I read a book last night that suggested having a 'worry time' of about 15 minutes each day and then doing something else I enjoy to take my mind off it. I might try it tonight. 

Comments (7)

latest | oldest

Displaying 7 comments

• Picture of SusieQ
    From SusieQ  
    20 February 2014 at 10:08

Hello,

Thank you for recommending the book...I've ordered it, to have a read through, as anything that helps someone adjust to a diagnosis of breast cancer sounds very useful. It's also inexpensive, which is helpful...

Once I've read it, I'll write a review and put it in our books section. We welcome suggestions of any books that have helped online members understand and deal with their, (or someone they care about) cancer experience.

Very best wishes

Sue

• From Anonymous
    19 February 2014 at 22:45

I've only just joined the online community and started browsing the conversations. Noticed this one and that someone had recommended a book. I want to do the same. I found a book called Emotional support through breast cancer and it's brilliant. It's written by a psychologist who's had breast cancer herself, called Cordelia Galgut. It is fairly short and I found it easy to read and to go back to and dip into. I'm carrying it round with me at the moment. What it told me was that I'm not going mad and that it's normal to feel like I do, even after treatment is over. It's totally focussed on breast cancer, so all of it is relevant to me. Do have a look on Amazon and see what you think.

Kazey

• From Anonymous
    18 February 2014 at 20:30

Thanks Sue just read the reviews and ordered the book.

Deb

• From Anonymous
    03 April 2013 at 21:16

thanks Sue. Yes I do have this book and have keep re-reading it. I think it can still be hard to do all that it suggests on your own.  I think I need some support to tackle the issues/challenges that lie ahead so am looking forward to maggie's opening in my area so I can attend some courses/support groups.  

• From Anonymous
    03 April 2013 at 21:13

thanks Beverley, that really helps. I have been thinking of CBT and I will ask to be referred. I guess being checked up on regularly can be a good thing but I think as you say it will take me a while to feel like that.  At the moment I just wish i hadn't had cancer at all. I think it is probably a process/stages and at the moment I am in angry and resentful stage. I hope I will move on from this soon as its not a good place to be. thanks again. 

• From Anonymous
    03 April 2013 at 17:44

Hi,

When my treatment finished I felt very alone and as the appointments at hospital got further apart I actually started to miss the hospital (how sad am I) What if they left me too long and the cancer came back? It took quite a while for me to accept that unlike other people who had never had cancer atleast I was having regular check ups and my Gp was more cautious with me if I became unwell in any way shape or form.

I have now been in remission for over 2 years and am down to 6 monthly ct scans my next due this month.

I think it is very normal to feel the way you do. I found Cognetive behavioural therapy really helpful and you could ask your GP to refer you for this. It helped me turn my negative thoughts into positive thoughts, hard at times but it has helped me so much.

Beverley x

• Picture of SusieQ
    From SusieQ  
    03 April 2013 at 15:16
    Edited on: 03 April 2013 at 15:18

Hello,

I'm sure others will answer with their own tips, so I won't write lots...but I wonder if you've read The Cancer Survivor's Companion by Lucy Atkins and Dr. Frances Goodhart. They say the following about their book.

'Coping with life after cancer can be tough. The idea that the end of successful treatment brings relief and peace just isn't true for countless survivors. Many feel unexpectedly alone, worried and adrift. You're supposed to be getting your life 'back on track' but your life has changed. You have changed.

With reassurance and understanding, Dr Frances Goodhart and Lucy Atkins help readers deal with the emotional fallout of cancer whether it's days, months or years since the treatment ended. Drawing on Dr Goodhart's extensive experience working in the NHS with cancer survivors, this guide is packed with practical and simple self-help tools to tackle issues such as worry and anxiety, depression and low mood, anger, low self-esteem and body image, relationships and sex, fatigue, sleep and relaxation.

If you are a cancer survivor, this book will support you every step of the way. If you are supporting a loved one, friend, colleague or your patient, this is a vital read.'

See what you think?

Best wishes

Sue

Displaying 7 comments

Registered Office: Maggie's, The Stables, Western General Hospital, Crewe Road, Edinburgh EH4 2XU   Registered Charity Number: SC024414
The Maggie Keswick Jencks Cancer Caring Centres Trust is a company limited by guarantee   Company Number: SC162451