Maggie's

See what's happening in the Community

You are not logged in.   Log In

Meet the team

As well as sharing experiences with our friendly online community, registered members are able to contact our experienced online team. The Centre is staffed during office hours and the online team aim to reply within 24 hours.

Psychologists and experts from other Maggie's Centres and partner organisations also facilitate some group and individual sessions.

Picture of 'Today I am feeling' - managing emotions

Topic

'Today I am feeling' - managing emotions

Share how you are feeling and swap tips for managing stress with other members and the online team

• 171 conversations

New to chemo

Started by lorraine on 29 November 2017 at 13:58

hi, my husband who has advanced prostate cancer ( 9 yrs) has been told he will be getting chemo early january .. we are so worried as we have been told bits and pieces about what might happen , the chemo is called Docetaxel has anybody had this or knows of someone who has .. thanks

Picture of lorraine

Comments (1)

Displaying 1 comments

• Picture of SusieQ
    From SusieQ  
    30 November 2017 at 09:56
    Edited on: 30 November 2017 at 10:31

Hello,

The thought of chemotherapy is daunting for the majority of people, so you're not alone. It doesnt help relieve the anxiety though, I realise...and it can feel a bit like entering the unknown.

Hopefully any of our online visitors who have been through docetaxol treatment, can explain what it feels like. However, I hope this information will help...

Docetaxol is a commonly used chemotherapy drug - it's used in breast, lung, head and neck, prostate and stomach cancer. You'll find a helpful description of the drug, how it's administered, and the possible side effects on Cancer Research UK's web page 'Docetaxol (Taxotere)'.

In additon there's a section on Prostate Cancer Uk's website - 'Chemotherapy' which might help answer some of your concerns.

Prostate Cancer UK also has a friendly online community of men with prostate cancer and their families. If you have a read through some of their posts you can see first hand what the chemo experience is like.

Finally, I'm imagining this is very hard emotionally, for you and your husband. You'd be very welcome to drop into your local Maggie's Centre for emotional support and a cuppa?

As always, if you need a listening ear...Robyn and myself are here, to talk things through with...and you can ask more questions about the chemotherapy? I'll be glad to help answer them...

Warm wishes

Sue

Displaying 1 comments

Registered Office: Maggie's, The Stables, Western General Hospital, Crewe Road, Edinburgh EH4 2XU   Registered Charity Number: SC024414
The Maggie Keswick Jencks Cancer Caring Centres Trust is a company limited by guarantee   Company Number: SC162451