Maggie's

See what's happening in the Community

You are not logged in.   Log In

Meet the team

As well as sharing experiences with our friendly online community, registered members are able to contact our experienced online team. The Centre is staffed during office hours and the online team aim to reply within 24 hours.

Psychologists and experts from other Maggie's Centres and partner organisations also facilitate some group and individual sessions.

Picture of Topic  'Today I am feeling' - managing emotions

Topic

Topic 'Today I am feeling' - managing emotions

Share how you are feeling and swap tips for managing stress with other members and the online team

• 186 conversations

Cancer on TV

Started by mariem   on 17 February 2010 at 12:30

Has anyone else noticed the recent cluster of TV coverage about cancer?  For Sky TV viewers you may have seen Brothers and Sisters and Grey's Anatomy have lead characters in or post-treatment.  Quite a lot of focus on the family too and their struggle to be a support.  I know when my best friend was going through treatment we'd take her lead on when she wanted to talk about it and when she didn't.

Picture of mariem

Comments (2)

latest | oldest

Displaying 2 comments

• Picture of katiet
    From katiet  
    18 February 2010 at 17:25

It often feels like an 'easy' story line as well in drama.. used to add pathos rather than realism... although more impressed with myself for using those words! Where do you think the best portrayal has been? I thought shadowlands was incredible.

• Picture of TomMa
    From TomMa
    18 February 2010 at 10:18

I think you're right Marie - lots of coverage and a real mixture of reality (in the news and with the Mo Mowlam drama) and fiction.

Fictionally Sally Webster in Coronation Street has been undergoing treatment for Breast Cancer and that seems to have been getting front page coverage on many of the TV magazine.

As with all things soap, the lines between what might actually happen day-to-day and real life are really blurred - but I think for the most part the revelation of her cancer and the shock and the debate on when the children were told bore similarity to my own experience with my mum's breast cancer. It sounds as though what has happened more recently has moved back into the realms of fiction again, but the days around Christmas were pretty familiar.

In my opinion, it was positive (and hopefully useful to others) to see that element of the storyline handled so well.

Displaying 2 comments

Registered Office: Maggie's, The Stables, Western General Hospital, Crewe Road, Edinburgh EH4 2XU   Registered Charity Number: SC024414
The Maggie Keswick Jencks Cancer Caring Centres Trust is a company limited by guarantee   Company Number: SC162451