Maggie's

See what's happening in the Community

You are not logged in.   Log In

Meet the team

As well as sharing experiences with our friendly online community, registered members are able to contact our experienced online team. The Centre is staffed during office hours and the online team aim to reply within 24 hours.

Psychologists and experts from other Maggie's Centres and partner organisations also facilitate some group and individual sessions.

Picture of Topic  'Today I am feeling' - managing emotions

Topic

Topic 'Today I am feeling' - managing emotions

Share how you are feeling and swap tips for managing stress with other members and the online team

• 186 conversations

very confused need a professional..

Started by Anonymous on 27 March 2010 at 13:13
Edited on 27 March 2010 at 13:44

thank you very much,

I'm really confused, today we went for diagnosis.

But what we got was ... no BCR-ABL results and lost FISH results? That was what happened today, Father-in-law given no advice not so much as a leaflet no dx either? but was prescribed 200mg Imatinib and 300mg Allopurinol,then sent for more bloods confirmed to test BCR-ABL?

Just had a phone call from the consultant saying FISH results negative, and to not take the imatinib and to attend the next appointment in 9 days ... and sorry

so confused, what does it mean? does he have CML or not? he can't communicate after a stoke hence my involvment, so frustatinf for him.

all the helplines are closed and we are in the dark and clueless.

Comments (5)

latest | oldest

Displaying 5 comments

• From Anonymous
    31 March 2010 at 16:39

I'm going  to try to find out tomorrow if the results are in. If so I'll ask for a possible earier appointment or cancellation, it will be 3 weeks on Thusday waitng clueless, and it's just too long . . the poor man is tortured. ( I got his permission to chase them up)

I have just phoned the hospital and have been advised to call back in the morning when there is someone in the day clinic that can answer specific questions.

Thanks for your support, I promise I'll let you know,

Kindly,

Jud.

• Picture of KD
    From KD
    31 March 2010 at 16:18

Hi again,

Swimming in treacle sounds like a very apt description.

I'm afraid I'm not much help to you on the medical side of things as I'm not a professional and don't know about tests etc.

But, I do think keeping busy is a good idea. I bet it seems like such an age before you'll hear, but take the time to enjoy the Easter break with family and loved ones.

Let us know how you get on.

• From Anonymous
    28 March 2010 at 13:52

Hi KD

thanks for your comment, it's like swimming in treacle.

the results for the BCR-ABL will be a week on Tuesday, (due to the bank holiday) can you tell me how long the test results usually take in days?  Guess we'll just haveto try and keep busy and occupied, an easter egg hunt could well be in order!

• Picture of KD
    From KD
    28 March 2010 at 12:19

Hi Judiesmiling,

Glad to hear you got some sort of answer from your consultant. I'm sorry you were left in the dark for a while there with everything being closed down.

When will you hear about the BCR_ABL?

KD

• From Anonymous
    27 March 2010 at 13:46

Just spoken to the consultant, she's said hang fire don't rule out CML wait for the BCR-ABL more accurate,

so that's an answer ... at least

Displaying 5 comments

Registered Office: Maggie's, The Stables, Western General Hospital, Crewe Road, Edinburgh EH4 2XU   Registered Charity Number: SC024414
The Maggie Keswick Jencks Cancer Caring Centres Trust is a company limited by guarantee   Company Number: SC162451