Maggie's

See what's happening in the Community

You are not logged in.   Log In

Meet the team

As well as sharing experiences with our friendly online community, registered members are able to contact our experienced online team. The Centre is staffed during office hours and the online team aim to reply within 24 hours.

Psychologists and experts from other Maggie's Centres and partner organisations also facilitate some group and individual sessions.

Picture of Daily living with cancer

Topic

Daily living with cancer

Exchange experiences and ask questions about day to day life with cancer

• 4 conversations

Acupuncture for hot flushes

Started by Anonymous on 09 November 2017 at 21:20

Being treated for prostate cancer. Understand acupuncture can help with hot flushes, is this sort of treatment generally available via Maggie's does anyone know? My local Maggies/Macmillan/Cancer centre is Clatterbridge Wirral.

Comments (3)

latest | oldest

Displaying 3 comments

• From Anonymous
    10 November 2017 at 20:40

Thanks for your comments. I had a quick chat with someone at Maggies Clatterbridge today, it was said that yes, acupuncture can really help ease the hot flushes. So I'm speaking to my GP on Monday to see if I can be referred to a local holistic centre that does a lot with cancer sufferers. Like many others I do mention the hot flushes to oncology team whenever we meet. I appreciate the comments, my diet is decent I would say and I don't consciously get stressed. I just reckon that if I can alleviate 1 symptom 'magically' then that'll do. Peter

• From Anonymous
    10 November 2017 at 15:59

Hi Peter,

I've not tried this myself, as my flushes aren't too bad at present, but I know someone that has been recommended acupuncture to help this. They have been offered this treatment through The Breast Cancer Haven and Maggie's Cheltenham. I'm guessing that this is a local deal, but it might be worth finding out if your local Maggie's offers anything similar.

I was also recommended acupuncture for the heel pain I have (Plantar Faciitis), by another visitor here with prostate cancer. I don't know if you have had similar problems, but seems it's due to Zoladex.

All The Best

Keith

• Picture of Robyn
    From Robyn  
    10 November 2017 at 10:14

Hello, Hot flushes are a common side and often distressing effect of hormone treatment There are a number of things you can do to reduce their number and severity and several studies have shown that acupuncture can be helpful.

At Maggie’s  we don’t offer acupuncture however you can find a qualified therapist in your area via the British Acupuncture council. Before starting any therapy you should ensure the practitioner is aware of your diagnosis and any treatment you are having .

Do also let your hospital team know the extent of the flushes you are having there are some medications that can help.

I mentioned above that there are other ways of managing hot flushes - these include dietary changes, stress management techniques, identifying patterns and triggers in the flushes, having clothes and bedlinen made from natural fibres amongst others
    You may find the hot flushes and sweats in men  page of the CRUK website helpful and you are welcome to message me privately if you would like to talk this over in more detail

Best wishes
    Robyn

Displaying 3 comments

Registered Office: Maggie's, The Stables, Western General Hospital, Crewe Road, Edinburgh EH4 2XU   Registered Charity Number: SC024414
The Maggie Keswick Jencks Cancer Caring Centres Trust is a company limited by guarantee   Company Number: SC162451