Maggie's

See what's happening in the Community

You are not logged in.   Log In

Meet the team

As well as sharing experiences with our friendly online community, registered members are able to contact our experienced online team. The Centre is staffed during office hours and the online team aim to reply within 24 hours.

Psychologists and experts from other Maggie's Centres and partner organisations also facilitate some group and individual sessions.

Picture of Topic  'Today I am feeling' - managing emotions

Topic

Topic 'Today I am feeling' - managing emotions

Share how you are feeling and swap tips for managing stress with other members and the online team

• 186 conversations

Needing encouragement to keep going

Started by Anonymous on 05 November 2012 at 19:43

My next R CHOP treatment is next week and already I am wondering how I am going to cope. I feel slightly nauseous already. The side effects are so bad that I am becoming a bit phobic about everything to do with my treatment. People would think it's a no-brainer- have the treatment and have the chance of being put into remission or don't and die. After the last cycle I felt the cure was worse than the disease. Friends and family are very supportive but if you haven't been there you can't really understand. They think I'm so brave and positive most of the time. Help.

Comments (3)

latest | oldest

Displaying 3 comments

• From Anonymous
    07 November 2012 at 08:03

Hi Milis,

Why don't you ask your team about holistic treatment. I was fortunate to be offered aromatherapy massage the day after each R CHOP. To be honest I didn't look forward to going out the day after my treatment but I can tell you it was pure bliss and helped relax me so much. The 1st time I had a head massage I was quite nervous about taking my bandana off but it was brilliant. Caroline the lady who looked after me became a confident and even now 3 years later we keep in touch.

Robyn is so right about the nausea and getting the treatment right as it took a couple of sessions to find out what worked for me and it was ondandestron, metaclopramide and domperidone.

Best Wishes

Beverley

• Picture of Robyn
    From Robyn  
    06 November 2012 at 18:20

Hello have you talked to your hospital team about the difficulties you experienced with the  last  treatment - you mention nausea -  there are many different drugs to help with nausea and  sickness  - different ones suit different people and  it can take a treatment or two to get the right mix for you .... so your next treatment needn't be a repeat experience of the last one. The more information you can give your team about how you felt after the last treatment the more they will be able to help relieve this and other side effects you are experiencing.

I am sure other members will  post comments about how they have managed through treatment...  Many people find breathing and relaxation exercises helpful in managing  the anxiety before  and during treatment.  

You are welcome to message me anytime 

best wishes

Robyn

• From Anonymous
    06 November 2012 at 09:33

Hi Milis,

I have been in remission from stage 3 large diffuse B cell MHL for 2 years now and I had 8 R CHOP and 15 sessions of radiotherapy after the chemo had finished. You feel like it's never going to finish but here I am and in remission.

Has your oncologist given you a good anti sickness tablet such as ondandestron? You are also eligible for a daily injection which will boost your neutrophils. They tried the newer 3 week injection on me that I had the day after chemo but that didn't work so I had a daily injection.

If you would like to chat send me a private message.

Beverley x

Displaying 3 comments

Registered Office: Maggie's, The Stables, Western General Hospital, Crewe Road, Edinburgh EH4 2XU   Registered Charity Number: SC024414
The Maggie Keswick Jencks Cancer Caring Centres Trust is a company limited by guarantee   Company Number: SC162451