Maggie's

See what's happening in the Community

You are not logged in.   Log In

Meet the team

As well as sharing experiences with our friendly online community, registered members are able to contact our experienced online team. The Centre is staffed during office hours and the online team aim to reply within 24 hours.

Psychologists and experts from other Maggie's Centres and partner organisations also facilitate some group and individual sessions.

Picture of Topic Newly diagnosed

Topic

Topic Newly diagnosed

Are you newly diagnosed with cancer? Read our series of blogs with information about cancer and its treatment, how to take control of its side effects and tips to help you to focus on wellbeing.

• 87 conversations

new youngish mum with BC

Started by Anonymous on 30 December 2016 at 21:55
Edited on 30 December 2016 at 21:59

Hi anyone?

Im 41 and a mum of 3 kids , 4 year old Maggie and 2 boys 9 and 10 . just had first  chat with BC nurse  and its BC and in lymph nodes  stage 2 , B nurse said its a mastectomy and and node removal soon then MRI then see if anymore in there.

Ive had lower back ache for weeks and bad bleeding in period so really worried its spread.

anyone who can reassure me or just be honest would be amazing as hospital a bit negative really. its primary she said but i'm sure that a biopsy on breast and lymph node only is too early to say? or is it ? meeting with doc in 7 days so feeling very desperate for infomation . also as my mum died at 36 of BC.

Comments (4)

latest | oldest

Displaying 4 comments

• From Anonymous
    07 January 2017 at 20:20

You may be interested in reading the books of Professor Jane Plant. She had BC 5 times and cured herself with dietary changes - primarily cutting out dairy.

Ian

• From Anonymous
    31 December 2016 at 12:11

Hi Zena, sounds like you have been through a lot, but as I said before treatment has come along way since you sadly lost your mum. I had a lumpectomy, so just the lump removed. However the 3 nodes they removed for testing all came back positive for cancer, so I went on to have a node clearance. Then chemo and radiotherapy, followed by Tamoxifen as my cancer was fed by Oestrogen. Sadly at the beginning of this year I was diagnosed with secondaries to the bone. It means the breast cancer has spread, at the moment things are stable and I am having an injection every 3 weeks to shut my ovaries down. I have just taken a year out of work to try and get my head around my diagnosis and to try and work out how I feel about everything. However as I said next week I start a new job, and hopefully my life will continue to run relatively smoothly for a bit! Living with cancer is a rollercoaster like no other, but the point is you CAN live with it! Let's call it a long term health condition ;-) Oh and as for relying on others.....I hated that too...BUT if someone offers help, please accept it! As I found out the hard way, no one gives you extra credit for doing things alone ;-) Take things slowly, a day at a time! Always here for you! Xxx

• From Anonymous
    31 December 2016 at 10:59

Dear BellasGirl,

Thank you so much for your words, I feel lost and affraid of this unknown cruel thing and you just taking time to write has made me feel less isolated.

I was 7 when she died, 34 years ago now and we never talked about her afterwards as my dad remarried very quickly and so we had to forget her. and I now have my own chidren im so scared of leaving them without a mum like I was and they will forget me. 

Im so glad to hear  you are getting through it and are starting a new job. beating it is keeping life going I guess. I am half way through a counselling degree and work with Cruse a bereavement charity , counselling Bereaved people. might have to stop that for a while but I really want to finish degree as the last year, but how can I cope with kids , and a degree and Cancer, its been hard-enough without Cancer. I have amazing family and friends but ive always hated relying on others.

Did you have a mastectomy? what does secondaries mean? Im sorry to ask but I feel lost in all the terms.

Thank you for replying, offerring a freindly ear.

Zena xxxx

• From Anonymous
    30 December 2016 at 23:24

Hi zena, sorry you find yourself here, but welcome! I think the most reassuring thing I can say is, that breast cancer treatment has come a long way in the last few years. It is very much treatable and although the treatments aren't much fun, they are very much doable. As far as you know your cancer hasn't spread any further than the lymph nodes. Until you know any different I would concentrate on getting through things one step at a time! It's a lot to take on board and I'm sure the fact you lost your mother to the disease, isn't helping. I'm very sorry to hear that. But Ladies are surviving breast cancer, some go on to live a 'normal' life again, others like me learn to 'live' with secondaries. I was diagnosed in 2013, secondaries discovered at the beginning of this year. But I'm doing okay. I'm starting a new job next week and life is getting back to normal for me :) In fact for me life continued to be normal throughout treatment! It's a tough journey but it's doable and with the love and support of family and friends, you will get through this. Just remember, you are never alone, there is always someone around who can listen and offer advice and support. The next few months will be full of ups and downs, but take things a day at a time! Sue and Robyn will be back online soon and they are a fountain of knowledge ;) Hope this has helped a little. Always here if you need a friendly ear xxx

Displaying 4 comments

Registered Office: Maggie's, The Stables, Western General Hospital, Crewe Road, Edinburgh EH4 2XU   Registered Charity Number: SC024414
The Maggie Keswick Jencks Cancer Caring Centres Trust is a company limited by guarantee   Company Number: SC162451