Maggie's

See what's happening in the Community

You are not logged in.   Log In

Meet the team

As well as sharing experiences with our friendly online community, registered members are able to contact our experienced online team. The Centre is staffed during office hours and the online team aim to reply within 24 hours.

Psychologists and experts from other Maggie's Centres and partner organisations also facilitate some group and individual sessions.

Picture of Topic  'Today I am feeling' - managing emotions

Topic

Topic 'Today I am feeling' - managing emotions

Share how you are feeling and swap tips for managing stress with other members and the online team

• 186 conversations

Mindfulness

Started by Anonymous on 24 July 2013 at 10:16

Wondering if anyone has looked into using Mindfulness as a way of dealing with stress and anxiety. I have done an introductory course online but would like to hear from anyone who has gone into it in more depth?

Comments (3)

latest | oldest

Displaying 3 comments

• Picture of Robyn
    From Robyn  
    25 July 2013 at 11:07

Hello I am not sure how much detail you have gone into with your online course - a book you might find helpful is Mindfulness a practical guide to Finding peace in a frantic world by Mark Williams and Danny Penman. It  has a step by step approach to making Mindfulness a part of your day and managing anxiety and stress The book includes a CD.  

As Sue wrote earlier the stress management course in our centres incorporates mindfulness and several of our centres now offer additional mindfulness workshops and courses.

best wishes

Robyn

• From Anonymous
    24 July 2013 at 11:36

Thanks Sue

I found the course informative but the skills are not easy to master.

• Picture of SusieQ
    From SusieQ  
    24 July 2013 at 10:41

Hello,

Mindfulness is a very useful tool to have in your stress management kit, but takes time to learn the strategies and meditation skills to practice it. You will already know quite a bit about it having undertaken an introductory course, but as far as I can gather mindfulness is a simple eastern approach to living, which has been adapted and used by western medicine. In particular,  in the field of stress management, and other psychological difficulties.

It can be defined as 'a mental state achieved by focusing one‘s awareness on the present moment, while calmly acknowledging and accepting one’s feelings, thoughts, and bodily sensations.'

It makes sense to ask others how they have got on, studying it at a deeper level. Maggie's Centres incorporate mindfulness in their stress management courses...so I'm sure someone online here will have experienced mindfulness at some level.

In the meantime, to find out more about mindfulness generally, here is a link to Be Mindful's website which discusses it more fully. In Maggie's CancerLinks, we also talk about emotional distress, and cancer, which can be eased by some of the strategies discussed there.

Very best wishes

Sue

Displaying 3 comments

Registered Office: Maggie's, The Stables, Western General Hospital, Crewe Road, Edinburgh EH4 2XU   Registered Charity Number: SC024414
The Maggie Keswick Jencks Cancer Caring Centres Trust is a company limited by guarantee   Company Number: SC162451