Maggie's

See what's happening in the Community

You are not logged in.   Log In

Meet the team

As well as sharing experiences with our friendly online community, registered members are able to contact our experienced online team. The Centre is staffed during office hours and the online team aim to reply within 24 hours.

Psychologists and experts from other Maggie's Centres and partner organisations also facilitate some group and individual sessions.

Picture of Topic  'Today I am feeling' - managing emotions

Topic

Topic 'Today I am feeling' - managing emotions

Share how you are feeling and swap tips for managing stress with other members and the online team

• 186 conversations

To wig or beanie?

Started by Anonymous on 26 August 2016 at 18:32

Second chemo session next week and hair is starting to fall out rapidly now ?? Any comments on what's best in wigs or hats would be welcome. Cheers Stella X

Comments (3)

latest | oldest

Displaying 3 comments

• From Anonymous
    06 September 2016 at 12:54

Hi Stella, 

I hope the hair loss has not been too traumatic for you. I remember once mine started to come out I made the decision to shave off the rest. I never thought I would but I hated the way it was coming out in handfuls. It surprised me how upsetting I found it because I had thought that, in the grand scheme of things, losing my hair would be the least of my worries.

I used a combination. I had a wig which I wore when I was going out somewhere and didn't want to 'stand out'. The only problem was that it could get very hot (my chemo was in the summer) and sometimes I just couldn't face the thought of putting it on. I bought myself a nice straw hat which I would sometimes wear instead of my wig if I went out during the day. I also had a large selection of scarfs for when I didn't feel up to wearing the wig or hat. I found them a bit cooler but I wasn't very good at tying them. At home I had some beanies which I could pull on quickly if I needed to answer the door but generally went without at home and the family soon got used to it. Eventually I even found the confidence to go out without my head covered but it took me a long time and I know not everyone is comfortable to do that.

I think for me it was the losing my eybrows & eyelashes that I struggled with the most as this was harder to hide but I got some great tips from a hair-loss workshop at my local hospital. I also did a look good, feel better session which I would highly recommend as it really helped to boost my confidence.

Lorna xx

• From Anonymous
    30 August 2016 at 20:21

Aw thanks Sue for replying I'm doing Brave the Shave this weekend if it'll hang on long enough lol. Think I've more or less decided to go for hats and scarves. My main worry had been scaring my grandson who's Autistic and just 7 but I think my son and daughter in law have come up with a suitable plan to help him deal with it. I'll check out the links though. It's all emotions at the moment ranging from I'm gonna die to I'm going to beat it. Realistically I guess the best thing to hope for is a decent period of remission ... I'm so totally enjoying life I want to go on. Early retirement has been so wonderful I want more. Hey ho first things first let's rock on with this chemo tomorrow and try one of Caroline's meals in a glass. Have a great week. Stella xx

• Picture of SusieQ
    From SusieQ  
    30 August 2016 at 10:31
    Edited on: 30 August 2016 at 10:34

Hello Stella,

It's an emotional time when the hair starts falling out - many people tell me it's the time when they feel perhaps at their most vulnerable - as a visible sign that they are on cancer treatment.

I'm sure you'll be wanting to hear from online members who have experienced hair loss first hand - but thought I'd also add a few words. We have a section on 'Hair loss' in Maggie's Cancerlinks, which gives links to various practical tips on how to manage hair loss, and what head wear selections are available.

'Where to get wigs, hats and scarves' from Cancer Research UK website is a useful read.

Meanwhile the choice of wearing a wig, scarves hats etc, is a personal one. There's some helpful videos to watch on 'Talking heads TV' page of Cancer Hair Care website.

Finally, if you live near one our Maggie's Centres, we have a 'Talking Heads' workshop, which offers practical advice and support on all issues around cancer treatment related hair loss.

Hopefully others on here, who've made the wig or headscarf decisions, can share their experiences here for you...

Warm wishes

Sue

Displaying 3 comments

Registered Office: Maggie's, The Stables, Western General Hospital, Crewe Road, Edinburgh EH4 2XU   Registered Charity Number: SC024414
The Maggie Keswick Jencks Cancer Caring Centres Trust is a company limited by guarantee   Company Number: SC162451