Maggie's

See what's happening in the Community

You are not logged in.   Log In

Meet the team

As well as sharing experiences with our friendly online community, registered members are able to contact our experienced online team. The Centre is staffed during office hours and the online team aim to reply within 24 hours.

Psychologists and experts from other Maggie's Centres and partner organisations also facilitate some group and individual sessions.

Picture of Kitchen table (general chat)

Topic

Kitchen table (general chat)

General conversations to join in and talk with other members and the Online team

• 674 conversations

Hello from a Newbie

Started by Anonymous on 03 October 2017 at 12:17

Hello all (waves) :)

Just joined Maggie's Online (wish I'd found it sooner, doh!) Firstly, I am not my cancer & it is not me! I'm 59 & live in South Cheshire with my wonderful man.

I have ovarian cancer; being treated at the Royal Stoke. Boring bit: diagnosed Oct 2013, stage 3A (2 large ovarian tumors, spread to omentum & peritoneum). Surgery, 6 x 3-weekely chemo (Taxol/Carbo) (Icon 8 Trial), 1st line finished end March 2014. Went 3 & a half yrs NED :) (good going!). Recurrance (on omentum) diagnosed June 2017. On hormone therapy but 2nd line chemo on the horizon fairly soon... bummer! Currently researching treatment options & am being screened for BRCA 1/2.

I've already met many wonderful people on this rotten, enforced journey who make the going a lot easier, and this looks like a brilliant place where I hope to meet many more.

With love & hug to all who need one (everyone!) x

Comments (4)

latest | oldest

Displaying 4 comments

• From Anonymous
    05 October 2017 at 10:29

Hi Keith55,

Thanks for the welcome fellow traveller and for your encouraging words :-) I do try to stay positive but don't beat myself up for having down days! It really, really helps to have people to talk to, especially those who are on the same journey.

Sending my warmest best to you for your journey.

Libby

• From Anonymous
    04 October 2017 at 22:34

Hi FlowerPower,

Welcome to Maggies. Like you I'm on a journey that I didn't want to be on. Through Maggies, I too have met many wonderful people. A silver lining to all those dark clouds.

Your positivity shines through your post, and I'm sure this will be of great help to you, in the more difficult days to come. It will surely give a boost to anyone reading it too.

All The Best

Keith

• From Anonymous
    03 October 2017 at 17:42

Hi Tom,

Thanks for the warm welcome :-) I have encountered so much kindness & support & yes, there's nothing like being able to to share the downs, as well as the ups on the rollercoaster with people who are going through the same thing & totally get where you're coming from.

I think it's absolutely great that there are people like yourself here to provide that practical support about benefits, employee rights, etc. etc. It's bad enough dealing with cancer let alone all the difficult, extraneous baggage it comes with! So a big 'high five' to you! (sorry that was a bit American but pat on the back sounds so condescending!).

After 1st line treatment & when I was in remission, I wanted to give something back so volunteered for a little while at an advocacy project for older people (over 50) affected by cancer (over 50's... older? The cheek of it!) Sadly I haven't been able to continue, but the impression I got was that many folk are really wary of advocay, whereas signposting to useful information, services & organisations was more welcomed.

Best wishes & thanks again! :-)

• Picture of Tombenefits
    From Tombenefits  
    03 October 2017 at 16:26
    Edited on: 03 October 2017 at 16:26

Welcome aboard :-)

I have heard so many similar thoughts from so many here, as well as times when cancer has come crashing in closer to home.  

There do indeed appear to be some searing silver linings to the cloud around this wee timorous beastie, mostly in the kindness and support of friends not yet met.

And it is  great to have you here in a powerfully, positive (((hugging))) mode, but it is also fine to come in and post on down need to be (((hugged))) day too. 

I'm Tom,  the Online Centre Benefits Adviser, by the way, so I might be handy for any queries around that strange benefits maze or other entitlements and boring practical stuff.

But I hope many far more useful folk riding that rollercoaster right now will post and add their hellos and welcomes too. 

Best wishes,

Tom:-) 

Displaying 4 comments

Registered Office: Maggie's, The Stables, Western General Hospital, Crewe Road, Edinburgh EH4 2XU   Registered Charity Number: SC024414
The Maggie Keswick Jencks Cancer Caring Centres Trust is a company limited by guarantee   Company Number: SC162451