Maggie's

See what's happening in the Community

You are not logged in.   Log In

Meet the team

As well as sharing experiences with our friendly online community, registered members are able to contact our experienced online team. The Centre is staffed during office hours and the online team aim to reply within 24 hours.

Psychologists and experts from other Maggie's Centres and partner organisations also facilitate some group and individual sessions.

Picture of Topic  'Today I am feeling' - managing emotions

Topic

Topic 'Today I am feeling' - managing emotions

Share how you are feeling and swap tips for managing stress with other members and the online team

• 186 conversations

My Emotions

Started by Anonymous on 21 August 2016 at 10:50

I was diagnosed with breast cancer a couple of weeks ago, and I had surgery last Thursday. I am going back for the results in about 2 weeks. It still seems unreal like its all happening to someone else, I have felt stressed and anxious but not upset or weepy at all. I do worry about my emotional health as I have suffered from depression in the past.

Comments (2)

latest | oldest

Displaying 2 comments

• Picture of SusieQ
    From SusieQ  
    22 August 2016 at 12:49

Hello,

I dont think there's a wrong or right way to handle the news of a cancer diagnosis, and it may be that things still feel rather numb emotionally for you. Your mind is still processing what is going on, and it may be at a later point that everything kicks in psychologically.

As, like many adults, you've experienced depression in the past, you may be in a good position to recognise if the familiar symptoms return. Don't hesitate to see your GP if you're concerned, as addressing it early can often help prevent it becoming severe. You may have developed coping strategies when recovering from your depression, which you can adapt and use currently...mindfulness, stress management, breathing and relaxation exercises, for example. We have some useful breathing and relaxation exercises in Maggie's Cancerlinks, which you may like to try. There's also some links to emotional issues in our Managing emotions section.

Dont be hard on yourself...the diagnosis was likely to have been a huge shock, and you're not alone in feeling as you do.

Do get in touch with Robyn or myself if you'd like to talk about how things are....a 'listening ear' guarenteed...

Warm wishes

Sue

• From Anonymous
    21 August 2016 at 20:31

Hi adassarose, I was diagnosed with Breast Cancer in 2013. I recall feeling exactly how you do. It couldn't be happening to me, I felt fine. How could I have Cancer! Now this will probably sound a little odd, but I went through 2x surgery, Chemotherapy and Radiotherapy and during that time I cried once! The night all my hair began to really fall out. But the next day I was fine. I went from one treatment to the next, like I was on a treadmill. I just did as I was told. Then I had my last Radiotherapy session. That was it, my 'active' treatment was over. I still had Tamoxifen to take but other than that, I didn't need anything else. I could go and not see my Oncologist for 3 months!! I was on my own! I was 'cured' or at least showing No Evidence of Disease. BUT this is where all the emotions of the last few months, REALLY hit me. I cried a lot, I felt very low and confused at why I felt so bad, when I should of been feeling on cloud nine. The reality is there is know right and wrong way to feel, and this journey has many ups and downs. Some people cry at every appointment, some during Chemo, some during Rads, some after its all over. I'm sure there are some people who don't get upset or cry at all. We are after all, all individuals. The most important thing is to give yourself time to feel however you want, and admit if and when you feel you need help. Also be prepared for emotions to hit at points where you wouldn't expect them too. I remember having a complete meltdown while watching the John Lewis Christmas ad, when the bear saw the Christmas tree/celebrations for the first time. I was a mess......Breast Cancer Diagnosis and I didn't lose a tear, advert I cried like a baby ;-) Good Luck with your results in a few weeks, and I hope you are healing well after your surgery. Take Care xx

Displaying 2 comments

Registered Office: Maggie's, The Stables, Western General Hospital, Crewe Road, Edinburgh EH4 2XU   Registered Charity Number: SC024414
The Maggie Keswick Jencks Cancer Caring Centres Trust is a company limited by guarantee   Company Number: SC162451